Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Oil - Won't take specified amount

Hello all!

I have a 2008 F60. When replacing the gear oil, I can only pump in a bit over 12 oz (3,7dl) , it should take 14,5oz (4,3dl) according to the manual.

I did everything according to the book, tilted the engine so all fluid could flow out, and I let it drain completely. And then I tilted it to vertical again and began to fill from the drain.

Anyone experienced the same thing?

Best regards

If you filled it until it came out of the upper vent screw opening then it’s full....regardless of the volume amount...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
      If you filled it until it came out of the upper vent screw opening then it’s full....regardless of the volume amount...
      Yeah I did, it flowed out from the upper vent. I just would have wanted it to take the specified amount, or at least a bit closer to it.

Comment

that heavy lube will coat and stick to everything inside the lower unit.
        do not worry about it as long as it is full

Comment

https://maintenance.yamahaoutboards.com/lower-unit/

"Once all the lube has drained,
          refill the lower unit by threading the appropriate fitting into the lower unit drain screw opening
          (on the bottom of the bullet) and slowly pumping in fresh Yamalube Marine Gearcase Lube or Lubricant HD.

Once you see this new fluid seeping out of the upper vent screw hole,
          stop and wait 5 minutes,
          then very slowly continue pumping until it seeps from the vent screw again.

At this point, replace the vent screw with a new crush washer installed,
          and tighten according to manufacturer specifications.
          Remove the fitting attached to the drain screw opening,
          and quickly re-install the drain screw with the new crush washer installed.
          Tighten to factory specifications. "

You can always go back and see if it will take any more...

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
            https://maintenance.yamahaoutboards.com/lower-unit/

"Once all the lube has drained,
            refill the lower unit by threading the appropriate fitting into the lower unit drain screw opening
            (on the bottom of the bullet) and slowly pumping in fresh Yamalube Marine Gearcase Lube or Lubricant HD.

Once you see this new fluid seeping out of the upper vent screw hole,
            stop and wait 5 minutes,
            then very slowly continue pumping until it seeps from the vent screw again.

At this point, replace the vent screw with a new crush washer installed,
            and tighten according to manufacturer specifications.
            Remove the fitting attached to the drain screw opening,
            and quickly re-install the drain screw with the new crush washer installed.
            Tighten to factory specifications. "

You can always go back and see if it will take any more...
            That's how I did it. But I waited like 1 minute after the initial spill out of the vent hole, and then it took in a few pumps more before I got an even flow of oil without air out the vent.

I might check it again, just need to pick up two new crush washers again if I do check it. In worst case scenario I have like 15% too little gear oil in it when I drive. It's pretty cold here still, it was 46 fahrenheit out so the oil that was drained was very thick...

Comment

It’s a sealed gearbox unit and if it’s full of marine 80-90 gear lube then you should have no lubrication problems.....

Comment

I filled my 20 HP Yamaha gear case on the weekend and promptly broke one of the crush washers. I got the washers from my dealer and do not like them at all. The old washers you could pull them up tite. I went to the second Yamaha dealer in town and got 4 more washers. he told me they are a fibre composite and they look different from the first ones I got.....these washers had a greyish colour layer sandwiched in the middle while the first ones were a solid black colour. The new ones are OEM in Yamaha packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by Camper38 View Post
                  I filled my 20 HP Yamaha gear case on the weekend and promptly broke one of the crush washers. I got the washers from my dealer and do not like them at all. The old washers you could pull them up tite. I went to the second Yamaha dealer in town and got 4 more washers. he told me they are a fibre composite and they look different from the first ones I got.....these washers had a greyish colour layer sandwiched in the middle while the first ones were a solid black colour. The new ones are OEM in Yamaha packaging.
                  Yeah I knew about theese new plastic washers so I nipped the up carefully. The torque spec is only 7nm (62 inch-pounds) on both the drain and vent screw. So be careful not to over-tighten them. I'm sure I was over 7nm but the washers didn't break, at least I couldn't feel them breaking.

Comment

I tried that five-minute trick on mine for the first time this spring. I wasn't able to get another teaspoon in either one. I'm done with that nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                      I tried that five-minute trick on mine for the first time this spring. I wasn't able to get another teaspoon in either one. I'm done with that nonsense.
                      I think there's variables at play here and that's the reason for the recommendation. How fast someone puts the gear oil in... the angle of the drive... the temperature... sometimes the wait period would be needed, sometimes not. But you don't really know if it was needed UNLESS you do it.

Tacco - like others said, don't worry about it. It's not an exact science and trying to make it one will only cause you grief. Go boating.
                      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                      X