Lock steering on a FT 9.9 LEP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock steering on a FT 9.9 LEP

I recently bought a 2020 FT9.9 LEP outboard motor (with power tilt) for my sailboat (catamaran). As the boat steering is done by the boats rudders and not by the motor, I am wondering how I can lock the steering on the outboard so I prevent it from turning. Do not immediately see an option to do so as there is no steering friction handler. The owner manual also does not give an indication. Does it require installation of an additional part? Thank you for your help.

Sounds like you are not in the USA. No FT9.9LEP offered here.

I am guessing that it is an electric start model designed for remote control but...

What is the complete engine ID number?

Comment

Without knowing what motor you have I am going to guess that perhaps the tiller version steering friction mechanism can be bolted to your model.

Comment

You are correct. This is an EU Longtail, Electric Start, Remote Control model. The ID number on the plate states: FT9.9LEP on the top and 6AVK + L + the Serial number below.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Adding the tiller version steering friction mechanism makes sense and as far as I can see it should be possible to fit onto the model. Had noticed it, but wasn't sure it would be a fit for this purpose as the manual states such a system may not be overtightened. Strange though this was not available as a default on the model... thought this might had to do with possible incompatibility with the Power Tilt. Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank_Zamba View Post
            You are correct. This is an EU Longtail, Electric Start, Remote Control model. The ID number on the plate states: FT9.9LEP on the top and 6AVK + L + the Serial number below.
            Tells me what is needed. Your model is similar to our model T9.9LPB.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank_Zamba View Post
              Thank you for your feedback. Adding the tiller version steering friction mechanism makes sense and as far as I can see it should be possible to fit onto the model. Had noticed it, but wasn't sure it would be a fit for this purpose as the manual states such a system may not be overtightened. Strange though this was not available as a default on the model... thought this might had to do with possible incompatibility with the Power Tilt. Thank you again!
              The tiller handle friction mechanism is not needed on remote control models. Adds to the weight and the costs. Which folks are always saying are too high.

If it were my motor I would fabricate a simple bracket that connects to the steering hook at one end and to one or the other clamp screws at the other end.

Comment

Yes. Indeed makes sense and an option I can explore! thx for the tip.

Comment

I thought your last name was Zappa. Do you have a daughter named Moon?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    I thought your last name was Zappa. Do you have a daughter named Moon?
                    Haha, No that is not the case :-)

Comment

On my Iroquois sailboat cat I have some lines from the top of the rudder stocks to the outboard so that it turns with rudderd, dramatically improves steering especially at low speed. See Iroquois group on social media.

Comment

Working...
                      X