2000 c40 tlry hp yamaha. Trim tab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 c40 tlry hp yamaha. Trim tab?

Up under trim tab assembly there is another bolt. What is it's purpose? Mine seems to be stripped. It will not tighten up. It Slips when just starting to get tight. Hopefully it's just the bolt that's stripped. How important is that bolt?

That bolt is another that holds the lower unit to the mid section, just like the one's visible..

Part #11:

Capture.JPG

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-28-2021, 07:58 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

With the other 4 bolts holdinthg it on I doubt you're in any danger of losing your lower unit.....that bolt must have stripped out the aluminum threads, either by over-tightening or corrosion or both.....

Comment

Thank you. That was my thought. Just another bolt securing lower unit along with the 4 other outer bolts.

Comment

the bad part is will it come out when you need to drop the lower unit

Comment

You could always re-tap those threads for one size larger bolt....but you’d have to buy the tap and the bolt(stainless steel).....whenever removing bolts for maintenance it’s a good idea to clean the threads with a wire brush and apply a coat of marine grease to the threads....especially in saltwater environment...

Comment

Ok. Now. Replaced impeller. All good. Except when testing turn on water to flush kit and start motor there is a weak stream of water coming out from tell tell. Also is a pretty good stream of water coming out from the lower unit where the notch is that you use to put a screw driver to help pry loose the lower unit when removing it. Don't ever recall seeing that before. What have I done wrong?

Comment

Remove lower unit and double check your work, gaskets, grommets,etc.,etc.

Comment

Will do. Thanks Robert

Comment

Working...
                  X