• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging coil 3 cylinder 30hp

6J8-85520-01-00

6H4-85520-01-00

6H4-85520-00-00

I am converting a MSHX to estart and having issues with the flywheel and charging coil. The kit was provided with lighting coil and it seems to fit the flywheel correctly but the current charging coil seems to be to wide. I was wondering what the difference is between the part numbers listed above. Any help will be appreciated.

------------

Comment

Here is what I am seeing. From where did you get your part numbers?

Last edited by boscoe99; 04-27-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Here is what I am seeing. From where did you get your part numbers?

Looking for part #4. I pulled the top 2 numbers from a 99 30hp and the bottom from an 89 30hp. Boats.net
        Last edited by southARbuck; 04-27-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Why not use a 30ELHX model as the basis for your parts requirements when converting a 30MSHX from manual start to electric start? That is, remove the manual start model parts and install the electric start model parts?

Comment

https://www.boats.net/search-list?q=...J8-85520-01-00

Comment

Why not use a 30ELHX model as the basis for your parts requirements when converting a 30MSHX from manual start to electric start? That is, remove the manual start model parts and install the electric start model parts?

I agree but finding some of the parts can be a pain and expensive so we pulled the parts off of an older motor and I am waiting on the charging coil. I found that the lighting coil with the 99 is wider than the one that was parted out. I also think the charging coil for the 99 is wider. The I.D. is smaller for the estart flywheel compared to the manual start flywheel. I'm trying to figure out what part I should look for in case this one will not work.

Comment

if the part numbers do not match up. there is no good reason they will work in a motor not listed to use that part.

probably better to sell your motor and buy what you want
                Last edited by 99yam40; 04-27-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  if the part numbers do not match up. there is no good reason they will work in a motor not listed to use that part.

probably better to sell your motor and buy what you want
                  I'm literally right there at it. If I knew which charging coil would work for the flywheel (year model unknown) I'd probably be done. I have the matching lighting coil for the flywheel and I just need to know what the differences are between the 3 part numbers I listed. In Boscoes schematic, part 4 on the manual start (original installed part) has zero dimensions difference compared to the estart (just sent one back that I ordered) I need the "thinner" coil. Think thinner from flywheel to crankshaft dimension.

Comment

so you have a flywheel for an unknow year you are trying to put on your 1999 motor?

I have never seen any specs/dimensions listed for Yamaha parts before
                    So I do not think you will find that info

looking up the part number will tell you what years and models that part is in.
                    Yamaha 6H4-85520-00-00 - ..COIL, CHARGE | Boats.net
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-28-2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      so you have a flywheel for an unknow year you are trying to put on your 1999 motor?

I have never seen any specs/dimensions listed for Yamaha parts before
                      So I do not think you will find that info

looking up the part number will tell you what years and models that part is in.
                      Yamaha 6H4-85520-00-00 - ..COIL, CHARGE | Boats.net
                      Yes. You can add estart from any of the 25/30 3 cylinders from the mid 80s to the late 90s if you have the complete donor motor parts. All the mounting holes are the same. I believe there are 3 different estart flywheels thru the years for that motor, they all fit the crankshaft but the one I have has a smaller ID compared to my current manual start. If I could find the dimensions, I may be able to find the part.

Comment

I understand what you are looking for but good luck finding it. I suspect that the only one with the dimensions of the parts is Yamamoto in the Yamaha engineering department. In Japan. And there is no good reason for them to be giving such information out. Proprietary information.

Comment

I understand what you are looking for but good luck finding it. I suspect that the only one with the dimensions of the parts is Yamamoto in the Yamaha engineering department. In Japan. And there is no good reason for them to be giving such information out. Proprietary information.
                          If one was able to get the split vs solid magnet and ID of the flywheel, maybe we could narrow down flywheel year model to narrow down charging coil model number?

Comment

If the flywheel part number is known then we can find out what model motors it was used on. The parts catalogs will then tell what part number charge coils go with those flywheels.

Comment

If the flywheel part number is known then we can find out what model motors it was used on. The parts catalogs will then tell what part number charge coils go with those flywheels.
                              I agree, so how familiar are you with the flywheels as far as split vs solid magnets. We can start narrowing it down to certain years?

Comment

Working...
                              X