how to disconnect shifter rod in 9.9 yamaha to remove lower gearcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to disconnect shifter rod in 9.9 yamaha to remove lower gearcase

Have a 2008 9.9hp Yamaha, two stroke. want to put in a new impeller. Removed the 4 12mm nuts, and the lower gearcase dropped about 3/4". The shift rod must be disconnected. How?? There is a locking nut, about 1/8" thick. loosened it, and spun it down about 4 revolutions. Above it is what looks like a brass nut about 1" long, with treads showing above and below. Put the wrench on it, tried both directions, and it will not move. Put enough pressure that it was obviously bending the shifter rod itself. I don't want to damage the shifter rod. Am I doing something wrong? I have looked everywhere for a detailed description of how to disconnect the shifter, and can't find one. It's one of those little, but important details that the shop manual and utube posters blow over and don't give enough attention to.

that barrel nut turns up the upper shaft to disconnect the lower.
    its possible by now you have disloged the shift cam in the lower.
    if you have it will require propshaft and bearing carrier removal to reassemble.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      that barrel nut turns up the upper shaft to disconnect the lower.
      its possible by now you have disloged the shift cam in the lower.
      if you have it will require propshaft and bearing carrier removal to reassemble.
      The shifter still works, so I assume I have not dislodged anything. as I stated in my original post, the barrel nut is frozen, and will not turn up the upper shaft.

Comment

not my fault no one maintained it.
        like I said that barrel nut MUST be turned up the upper shaft.

you may try heat on it and sometimes it still snaps off the upper shift shat pin.

you will find that if the maint schedule is followed that simply does not happen..

the schedule says every 200 hours OR once per year.
        that's when you grease threads,grease splines and inspect impellers.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          not my fault no one maintained it.
          like I said that barrel nut MUST be turned up the upper shaft.

you may try heat on it and sometimes it still snaps off the upper shift shat pin.

you will find that if the maint schedule is followed that simply does not happen..

the schedule says every 200 hours OR once per year.
          that's when you grease threads,grease splines and inspect impellers.
          No, it is not your fault no one maintained it. Nor is is mine, since I recently purchased it, so get over the implied blame.

I have a bernzomatic about the size of a big cigar, puts out a pencil flame. I will try heating it to free it up.

Comment

good luck with the heat.
            that is always an issue buying used.
            you never know what the last guy did.

however if you do break the shift pin its still not hard to fix.

Comment

I had one freeze up like that and ended up breaking the link at the top of shaft because I could not hold the shaft from moving very well.
              even after having it out and in a vice, heat and lube did not help
              beating on it did not help either

Good luck and I hope it will come loose for you without damaging other parts

Comment

Hey Rodbolt, I'm having the same problem with a 9.9 I just bought. Went to change the impeller and couldn't budge the upper hex nut. Going this morning to apply the heat to it. Knowing its not a hard replace will make me feel better about snapping the sucker. Can you point to a link or website that addresses how to replace the shift rod if you break it?

Comment

its called a service manual.
                  if you snap off the upper pin you remove the power head to access it.
                  not hard just opens up the possibility to snap more stuff.

Comment

when removing or installing the 9.9 case shift to reverse.
                    reconnect the shift link with both the shift rods in reverse.
                    that connector is NOT a shift adjustment.

Comment

Maybe a can of that Freeze-Off spray would help with the stuck nut?....

Comment

Working...
                      X