Yamaha Wiring - F225TXRC problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Wiring - F225TXRC problem

Hi. I'm not sure if anyone has asked this however I have a F224TXRC engine with round Yamaha multifunction gquges, 2 connectors come from the front and hook up at the engine. My issue is the harness is from a F225TXRD which looks to be missing 1 of these said connectors foe the gauges. Can anyone help out on how to either convert my gauge wiring into one connector? Or possibly an adapter? All information welcomed.

Yes, a 2004 ("C") has two plugs at the engine, while a 2005 ("D") has only one

but I'm not quite understanding - how did you arrive at your current situation?

in any case, from the records I'm seeing,

the tach indicators/trim should work using just one of the "C" plugs
    same as it does with the "D"

Comment

Okay assuming I just have the wrong plug out of the 2 plugged in. I will switch and see what that does. I didn't check to see if trim showed working or not.

The plug with 4 pina that is all pink wires is all power for the gauge indicator?

Comment

the 'power' for gauges - including the multifunction tachometer/trim meter,
        comes from the ignition switch:
        the yellow wire, and the black ground.

the "indications" - the trim position, and the two warning symbols,
        (high temperature and low oil pressure)
        operate by wires from the tach being grounded at the engine
        by the trim sender, or by the engine ECM

that's what the harness between the gauge and engine is for,
        and whether there are 2 plugs or 1,
        only 3 wires are actually needed:

- one wire to the trim sender (on the engine side of the plug, the plain pink)
        - one wire for the low oil pressure warning (on the engine plug, pink w/ white stripe)
        - one wire for the overheat warning (on the engine plug, pink w/ black stripe)

(the pink w/ black stripe is duplicated - I don't know why....)

Comment

Okay what colors on the new harness for the 3 wire colors on the gauge harness? I believe they are different colors.

Comment

Does this help?

Comment

Thanks. So that's what I have. A single adapter coming from engine harness and 2 pigtails coming from the gauges. I'm trying to confirm that adapter 6Y5-85335-10-00 is the adapter that would connect the gauges to the engine? I look it up and it shows single connector to gauge and double to engine. Can that be used in reverse application?

Comment

I have 1 pigtail not connected so tach isn't operating. Engine will start and run. Female connector to male is what it needs..

Comment

---------------
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 04-27-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kadinotw View Post
                    I have 1 pigtail not connected so tach isn't operating. Engine will start and run. Female connector to male is what it needs..
                    Tachometer RPM indication has nothing to do with the trim/oil connectors and wire harness.

Comment

I have 1 pigtail not connected so tach isn't operating.
                      As explained above,
                      those wires don't have anything to do with the "tach" function -

they are just for the trim indication, and overheat/low oil pressure warning.

Power & ground for the tach display come from the keyswitch,
                      via a fused harness,
                      as does the green wire which carries the rpm signal.

Comment

Thanks. So that's what I have. A single adapter coming from engine harness and 2 pigtails coming from the gauges. I'm trying to confirm that adapter 6Y5-85335-10-00 is the adapter that would connect the gauges to the engine? I look it up and it shows single connector to gauge and double to engine. Can that be used in reverse application?
                        Why would you not want to use the adapter harness that Yamaha specifies for driving a two connector tachometer from a one connector motor? You can do what you want but it would require cutting wires and installing new terminals.

Last edited by boscoe99; 04-27-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I guess I'm confused looking at the adapter 6Y5-85335-00-00. It shows 2 pigtails for gauges and 2 for engine, when I input that part number online. Am I not required to plug but only 1 into the engine?

Comment

Working...
                          X