Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove bushings from Yamaha 70B trim sylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove bushings from Yamaha 70B trim sylinder?

I have been trying to replace seals from my Yamaha 70B (1989) trim system and having trouble removing the old bushings inside the hydraulic sylinder caps. I have tried with WD-40, screwdriver and hammer but it just does not move at all. Any tips?

Trim system is 6H1-10 and the bushings part number is 90380-16109.

It is this grey thing in the middle. It cannot be pushed from this side.

Interesting design.
    It seems the bushing is pressed in from the threaded side -
    against a 'shoulder'
    which prevents it from being directly pressed out.

Comment

I see also that the bushing is 'split' -

Comment

Correct. I have been trying to hit it with a screwdriver and hammer from this side. Doesn't work.

Comment

If I had to get them out -
          I would use a Dremel cut off wheel
          (might have to wear one down to reduce its diameter)

cut some "slots" into/through the bushing
          - maybe 3, evenly spaced -
          for a punch to bite into
          so it can be driven out

Comment

Surely, if the bushing is split you would carefully pry one side until it slips behind the other side; reducing it’s diameter loosening it’s grip,

Comment

why not just buy a new cap instead?
              if they wanted you to pull that bushing out, I would think the service manual would tell you how to remove it.
              Last edited by 99yam40; 04-26-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                If I had to get them out -
                I would use a Dremel cut off wheel
                (might have to wear one down to reduce its diameter)

cut some "slots" into/through the bushing
                - maybe 3, evenly spaced -
                for a punch to bite into
                so it can be driven out

Do you mean that I would try to push the bushing with a screwdriver using those 'slots'? I think I can apply decent amount of pressure just under the 'shoulder', 'slots' probably wouldn't be significantly better.

I don't own a Dremel, is there cut off wheel small enough to fit inside the bushing? Smallest I found is 22mm but I would need something like 10mm.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  Surely, if the bushing is split you would carefully pry one side until it slips behind the other side; reducing it’s diameter loosening it’s grip,
                  Prying the bushing is very hard, atleast without damaging the cap. I cannot fit anything between the bushing and the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    why not just buy a new cap instead?
                    if they wanted you to pull that bushing out, I would think the service manual would tell you how to remove it.
                    I would prefer using these old ones since they cost around 150€ and if they need to be shipped I couldn't use the boat this week.

There are two types of cylinder caps. The other has a o-ring seal instead of this bushing, and I have found manuals for this version only, not for my version. Original manual book has been lost probably 20 years ago by the previous owner.

Comment

I got the job done by punching the bushing from this side to make a 'lip' like this (picture) and then hitting the lip from the other side with a screwdriver.
                      Last edited by kallehavumaki609; 04-27-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kallehavumaki609 View Post

I would prefer using these old ones since they cost around 150€ and if they need to be shipped I couldn't use the boat this week.

There are two types of cylinder caps. The other has a o-ring seal instead of this bushing, and I have found manuals for this version only, not for my version. Original manual book has been lost probably 20 years ago by the previous owner.
                        LIT-18616-00-36 would apply to your model motor. Shows the bush.

Comment

Working...
                        X