Alarm Sounding 1997 115 HP 2-Stroke oil injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm Sounding 1997 115 HP 2-Stroke oil injection

I'm researching the possible causes for the sounder to activate at idle in the driveway. Engine ran fine all summer and we noticed a couple of times before winterizing that the sounder would go active but no engine operating issues. When I had the boat in the driveway last fall putting it away for the winter, I heard it go off. From what I can determine studying the factory service manual there are the following possibilities: (1) over temperature condition or bad sensor (2) low oil level in the boat-mounted reservoir (3) low oil in the engine-mounted reservoir (4) faulty wiring between the engine and the console (5) faulty output from the computer mounted on the engine.

Does that seem right?

Close.

Normally it is over temperature or low oil in the main oil tank that will set the alarm.

Failed wiring and components can also do it but this is not normal.

Low remote tank oil will not set the alarm.

Low voltage can set the alarm.

The CDI might set the alarm but this is very remote.

Comment

What lights are on/flashing? Have you felt the motor to see if it is hot? How long since the water pump was replaced?

Comment

You said alarm triggered a couple times....If it were due to low oil then it would alarm every time you turn on the key following the 1st time the alarm triggered (assuming you didn’t manually fill the main oil tank). It’s unlikely the motor will overheat on muffs, but definitely possible if there is an issue with cooling system or water source. If the main oil tank level is above the bottom mark and it’s not overheating then likely a bad sensor.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

The alarm is noted as being intermittent, that means it could be an oil/harness fault, and a motor certainly can overheat at idle/on the muffs, but without further info or basic checking, it's all just guesses and stabbing in the dark.

Comment

Working...
          X