Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 F50 - stuck in forward and other issues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F50 - stuck in forward and other issues....

Hi all, new to the forums although I've purchased parts from here in the past.

I have a 2005 F50 TLR, Serial 6C1 1007932, that I recently took in for service. I use this boat and motor year round for fishing and hunting. Towards the end of duck season I noticed gear oil coming out of the prop hub and on the floor of my garage. Last month I took to an authorized service location I've used in the past. I asked to have the lower unit pressure tested, a quote on fixing it, and several other things. I get a call that there was water in the gear oil and that to fix it would approximately 700$ in addition to the other things I had to asked to be looked at, most trailer bearing issues.

I told them to stop work and that I would do it myself. They seemed put off by this. I also asked them to not put any gear oil in the lower unit since I would be changing out the seals, etc. I should have known something was up when I dropped the boat the showroom, they also sell boats, was empty, and the place in general looked deserted. I guess they are falling on hard times and are charging a premium for service now. Sad.

Anyway, I pick up the boat, order the lower oil seals, a water pump rebuild kit, and a water pump housing assembly. When taking the prop off to replace the lower seals I noticed the prop wouldn't spin despite being in neutral. I went ahead and changed the seals, then broke the lower unit off the motor and proceeded to change the impeller, water pump housing assembly, and all the parts in the water pump rebuilt kit.

Put everything back to together and when putting the prop back on notice that again it won't spin in neutral. Get worried at this point, put some muffs on it and it starts right up prop spinning away. Give it some throttle and sure enough the prop spins faster. Shift to forward no change, shift to reverse no change..still spinning forward.

Also no water coming out of the pee hole. Guess my impeller install job sucked. Gonna take the lower unit back off and investigate the impeller.

What in the world should I be looking for in regards to a linkage issue? Other thoughts on a possibility? Any link between no water out of the indicator hole and the gear issue?

I'm just hoping it isn't a bit of sabotage here. I'd hate to think that out of spite they fired up the motor with no gear oil in it.

thanks,
    Signed "Shadetree Mechanics at Best"

Last edited by bourbon1; 05-08-2015, 07:17 PM.

all you need is an alternator.

Comment

Pull it apart and keep looking at it until it makes sense.

My guess is that you forgot to put the plunger back into the front of the drive shaft or you missed the shift shaft splines

When putting the housing back on did you reassemble it with all of the o rings & seals?

Last edited by greasyshaft; 05-08-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Not sure the F50 is the same, but the shift shaft may just need turning to the neutral position before installing.

When you told them not to do anything more to it they probably just slapped the lower on to the motor without making sure everything was in neutral.

Time for you to do that now to see if it makes a difference

Hope you understand that the prop shaft seals are not the only seals that could need replacing
        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-08-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

if you had water in the case and it was drained and not refilled with anything it tends to rust the internal shiney parts rapidly.

Comment

Turns out all I need was an alternator this whole time. Thanks to whomever suggested it!

Comment

well were you able to find neutral when you pulled the lower again?

Comment

Originally posted by bourbon1 View Post
                Turns out all I need was an alternator this whole time. Thanks to whomever suggested it!
                Its NOT un-common for folks to post W/O listed the MODEL #, which is often critical (besides the year and HP)

Your not the first that "needed an alternator" and won't be the last(nothing personal).

An answer to 99yam40, who tried to assist would be probably be appreciated by him, besides being just common courtesy(to him).
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X