Trouble shooting bog down and stalling issue 2000 200 hp Saltwater series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble shooting bog down and stalling issue 2000 200 hp Saltwater series

End of last season I noticed a less aggressive startup than usual.After running across the bay we idled down a long canal and after 15 mins of idling we bogged down and stalled.

primer bulb needed pumping and got us going again right away.Next time it happened while idling again my passenger pumped bulb when it started to bog and kept us going.
    all other running was normal but it seemed to be loosing prime.I replaced the fuel water sep,main fuel filter on motor,both fuel pumps and VST filter.Did I miss anything?? Charlie

OK, so pumping the bulb means it's a fuel issue. That helps narrow things down. Now, the question is, why is the VST tank getting low. Did you replace those things AFTER having the issue, or did the issue pop up after replacing those things? If the latter, then check your work. Assuming the former...

The other thing you would likely notice is that the on-engine filter is low/empty of fuel. The issue could be anywhere between that filter assembly and the tank. First, though, try running with the fuel cap off - if all is good, then there's a restriction in the vent fitting or the vent line. If still no good, then we look at the pickup tube, the AS valve (assuming you have one) on the tank or the fuel line or the fuel bulb or even the fuel line to the filter. An easy way to eliminate variables is to hook up a portable tank directly to the engine. If it runs well, you know the issue is upstream of where you plumbed in. If it still bogs down, the issue is downstream.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Performed all of the fuel maintenance after the issue including the primer bulb. Have not had a chance to run it out on the water since.Im thinkin I got it though ,based on how aggressively it starts when I turn the key. Issue began when I first noticed that it did not start aggressively on the 1st turn of the key last season.thanks again for for the help.Charlie

Comment

Don't know what starting aggressive means, but if you have a vent blockage the bulb will suck flat, if you pump the bulb and the engine goes, it indicates a fuel pump issue, try the remote tank with fuel and fuel line first, it eliminates quite a bit of stuff in one go.

Comment

So... you DON'T have a problem? ???
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
            Don't know what starting aggressive means, but if you have a vent blockage the bulb will suck flat, if you pump the bulb and the engine goes, it indicates a fuel pump issue, try the remote tank with fuel and fuel line first, it eliminates quite a bit of stuff in one go.
            Agressive start means hardly any cranking when i turn key,starts up immediately.Most outboards i have owned takes a few cranks before they are running.This one is running before I let the key go
            .Agressive is my best description.When i fist had this issue at end of last season I notice that it took a few cranks to get started which was unusual for this motor.I am the only one that would have noticed.
            I have not been out since so I am hoping what I have done solved the issue.The start is back to very agressive/immediate.Just wanted to see if I could replace anything else related as pm

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
              So... you DON'T have a problem? ???
              I did before I started changing things out this past off season.Hopefully I nailed the issue.Wont know till next month at splash time.I was just inquiring in the event I was missing a filter somewhere.I cant believe there was a 2 stroke oil filter UNDER the oil resevoir.....Thats right under it.I had to remove the resevoir to access and change it. Charlie

Comment

very good time to clean that tank while you have it out, so the filter does not plug back up
                Last edited by 99yam40; 04-15-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X