1997 115 TLRV stalls at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 115 TLRV stalls at idle

I have a 1997 115 TLRV 2 stroke. It starts fine, and runs well. However, it often stalls at idle, and to restart I generally have to advance the throttle before it will catch. I've replaced fuel filter and spark plugs. The plugs have a lot of oil residue on them - not sure if that's normal for a 2 stroke or not. The stall happens whether the engine is warm or cold. Water intake is strong; water pump completely replaced last year.

I've read there may be an idle control solenoid or an air intake solenoid that may be gummed up, but I cannot see one on the engine. Is that only for EFI systems (mine is carburetor)? Any ideas on what would be causing the stall at idle? And, if the oil residue on the plugs isn't normal, what do you recommend to correct?

sounds like it maybe running too rich if the throttle needs to be advanced to restart( add more air)

Comment

Check position of idle speed screw. Should be screwed down enough so at the very least it cracks open the throttle plate. If that checks out then how about syncing carbs, or pull/clean and sync.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Thanks. I'll try these suggestions over the next week or two as I have time. Likely going to rebuild the carbs while at it in case that's causing the engine to run rich.

Comment

Working...
        X