'97 Pro V 150 water PSI question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 Pro V 150 water PSI question...

I have a '97 Pro V 150. it usually reads 15-20 PSI when up on plane, but I notice sometimes when running at WOT it will drop to 0 then back to 15ish. I always look back and it looks to be spraying just fine. It also reads 0 when idleing and it's seems to be spraying just fine then too. Is this normal? Should I have it looked at? Could it be the gauge? It tends to do it when it's trimmed up a bit, but I never over trim. I have a Bob's H/Flats Jack and run it on 2 - 2 1/2 as an average.
    20\' Release ~ Yahama 150

How old is the waterpump? If its more than three years old change it. Have you installed the new redesigned pressure relief valve? How are the thermostats? Might have some junk in 'em. Inspect 'em when you install the new PRV valve, use new gaskets. Sometimes with the jackplate you lift it enough for the waterpump to suck air when going through chop or jumping the boat out of the water [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and this will stuff large air pockets into the powerhead and play havoc with your waterpressure readings. What prop are you running? Some of the PowerTech props are big enough (15.25" diameter....) that you might raise the jackplate high enough (without losing prop grip...) to partially uncover your water inlets, allowing air pockets to get pushed into the powerhead. Whereas the smaller diameter (Stiletto, 14" diameter...) will lose grip about the same time you'd be uncovering the water inlets, so you'd be reluctant to over lift the jackplate and cause that problem. I know Release likes to rig their boats with PowerTechs is the only reason I mention this.

Mike

Comment

Actually, I just bought the boat. The guy I bought it from said the water pump was changed a year or so ago. It also has a 4 blade SS prop. Not sure on the pitch. I'll see what I can find out. I haven't been running the jack plate very high. It has a Bob's Flats Jak and I have been running it around 2-2.5 at most. It also hae trim tabs, but I know very little about them. I guess they help the boat get up on plane quicker and allow you to balance it out on plane if one side is heavier than the other?

Comment

One more thing... where is the thermostat? I don't know a lot about outboard internals as of yet.

Comment

ls1jay,
          Your motor has two thermostats - one at the top of each head assy. Go to this url - item #8:

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=363006

The thermostats are easy to get to - just under the thermo cover - you need to get new gaskets when you reinstall the cover. And use a thread sealer on those bolt threads (I use Permatex 14A
          Thread Sealer with Teflon).
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Working...
          X