Milky grey gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milky grey gear oil

Hi lads I pressure tested my stoke f50 today and found where I think my gear box oil got contaminated. Could someone guild me in the right direction to what part is required? Thanks guys

Year of engine? Model #?

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Shes 2011 f50 4 stroke

Comment

You'd be looking at, most likely, replacing the seals. But you'll need to inspect the mating surface.

However, I've always heard that pressure tests are practically worthless. The seals, with the way they are placed, are designed to keep water out... but NOT designed to stop oil/pressure from escaping. A vacuum test, I assume, would be a more accurate way to determine integrity.

How much pressure did you use?
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I'd check the drain and vent plug gaskets/washers first, then remove the prop to inspect for fishing line under the seal....might save you the time and expense of prop shaft seals or drive shaft seal replacement...

Comment

I have to agree
            How much pressure did you use?
            and did you drain the unit before leak checking?
            drive shaft and shift shaft seals are showing a problem, but what about the prop shaft seals and orings
            and drain screw and vent gaskets

Comment

Per your picture, the top seals, parts #31 (2 of them): https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1
              are leaking/ failed..

I don't see a carrier their riding in, some digging further is needed to R&R them. Inspection of the shaft as well but it's likely ok. With the new seals in, your lower should hold air (at the PSI Yamaha posts for your unit (usually between 10-15 PSI).

Capture.JPG
              Scott

Comment

Spec's for my F150 (FYI):

Capture.JPG
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  Per your picture, the top seals, parts #31 (2 of them): https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1
                  are leaking/ failed..

I don't see a carrier their riding in, some digging further is needed to R&R them. Inspection of the shaft as well but it's likely ok. With the new seals in, your lower should hold air (at the PSI Yamaha posts for your unit (usually between 10-15 PSI).

Capture.JPG
                  looks like #30 is the housing the seals sit in.
                  looks to me that the shift shaft seal is also leaking.
                  there also orings that should be replaced on those

Comment

#30 doesn't look very deep but it make sense the seals reside in there... For the Op, might try pulling it.

With all the air bubbles from the main shaft, it's kinda hard to see if there are any other leaks..

Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X