No announcement yet.

VST filter,can you just drop lower????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST filter,can you just drop lower????

2000 200hp Saltwater series.can you drop the lower section of vst leaving the top connected to change out inner filter??? Charlie

No idea on that motor. Sorry, but... before you waste 40 bucks on a new filter you might want to see if you really need one. On my old F225 four strokes that filter is nothing more than a fine mesh screen in a plastic housing that slides over the fuel pumps intake port. All you need to do is shoot it (in the opposite direction of fuel flow) with carb cleaner or similar. The crud washes away and you can reuse it.

Comment

I'm not sure - I've always just removed the three bolts holding it on to make access much easier. It only takes about 90 seconds to remove the three bolts so I'm not really sure of the reason to not remove them. And, yes... inspect/clean/inspect and most likely reuse.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks guys,its not really the removing part that I want to avoid.Its disconnecting all of what you need to get out of the way to remove it.3 bolts are easy peezy.Guess I dont trust myself.Charlie

Comment

Yup, that's it - 3 bolts and then the little screws holding the cover on. That's it. Nothing else to remove or disconnect. NOTE: these are NOT phillips head screws. They are JIS (Japanese Industry Standard). While a #2 phillips will work, make sure you are pushing down very hard as it doesn't fit as well as a JIS screwdriver will and you risk stripping the screw head.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
            Yup, that's it - 3 bolts and then the little screws holding the cover on. That's it. Nothing else to remove or disconnect. NOTE: these are NOT phillips head screws. They are JIS (Japanese Industry Standard). While a #2 phillips will work, make sure you are pushing down very hard as it doesn't fit as well as a JIS screwdriver will and you risk stripping the screw head.
            Now there is somethin I did not know.Guess I need to add a screwdriver to my tools.Are they labeled JIS??

Comment

Originally posted by CRAZY CHARLIE View Post

Now there is somethin I did not know.Guess I need to add a screwdriver to my tools.Are they labeled JIS??
              If they are, I never took notice. There might be a dimple - but I'm not there to look, right now.

Comment

Job complete.You guys were 100% correct.Thanks Dennis and Oldmako!! I first cracked loose each of the screws and then removed the 3 bolts.One should note that there are 3 washers behind the vst that will drop after removing the bolts.I left the upper part attached via the fuel lines and wires and dropped the lower part which came apart very easily.Tank was spotless and filter also looked clean and recent.Didnt have any carb cleaner so I sprayed it with quick start and soaked it in Seafoam.This job must have been done recently as the gasket was also perfect.I put the filter back on and attached the lower and then replaced the fuel pumps while I had good access with the vst out of the way.Reinstalled and held the switch to fill resevoir and it fired right up.Easier than I thought.Thanks again guys.Charlie

Comment

Great! Glad you got it done without any issues!

Comment

Working...
                  X