150 HP 2 Stroke Seized while being worked on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 HP 2 Stroke Seized while being worked on

So I need some help guys and gals. I have a 2004 2 stroke Yamaha 150HP. Have owned it for one year. It is on an 18 foot Mako. All last summer it ran fine. Sometimes I would hear a slight burp/miss I will call it when coming down off the throttle and coming off a plane. Very hard to notice unless you were listening for it. Never seemed to impact performance at all. So in the fall I took it to a mechanic who is very well regarded. In fact his primary business is engine rebuilds/remanufacturing. First I had him due a compression test. All was perfect. He said it had a computer code noting a failed injector which was probably clogged a bit. He said he could clean all the injectors but since we did not know how old they were best option would be to replace them all. I said go ahead. At the time he said he would hold the boat and do the work in the spring along with other routine maintenance. Great - free storage. three weeks ago I visited the shop and saw the engine being worked on. It was tilted up while it was being worked on. Seemed odd to me .....I commented on it to a shop hand and he too said ya not sure why and wish it was down as he kept walking into it!

Two weeks ago Mechanic calls to say he changed the injectors and put the engine in a tank and it started fine. With in a minute or two at idle the engine siezed. He had no explanation other than to say it happens sometimes. He ultimately agreed to dig into the engine to fine out what happened. See pics of the lower left bank cylinder and head. He even said the markings look like a injector due to the ridges. He does not recall the old injectors condition when he pulled them out. He also said something could have broken loose in the fuel system and made its way into the engine. Either way he says he is not at fault at all.

My thinking is part of the old injectors somehow fell off when it was removed, or something got into the cylinder when he was working on it. With the engine tilted up something could have fallen in during the compression test or injector change.

The mechanic says there are lots of similar used engines on the market and he could find one for us to buy.

What do you all think? I need to know how hard to push this guy to make it right. My boating season is normally about to start in a month. If I have to go find a new / used engine I need to do that ASAP.

Since this happened while they were working on it then replacement/ repair should be at their expense....if you could find a very similar motor then maybe keep your old motor for parts???

Comment

he already said it was not his fault, so will be hard to push that.

If you had told him to clean the injectors, so you would have spares,
      I am sure he would have paid attention to what was wrong with the old ones.
      does he still have the old ones for you to look at?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        he already said it was not his fault, so will be hard to push that.

If you had told him to clean the injectors, so you would have spares,
        I am sure he would have paid attention to what was wrong with the old ones.
        does he still have the old ones for you to look at?
        Nope. He tossed them the day he pulled them out and could not find them.

Comment

Surely he would have at least inspected the old injectors just to let you know if they were plugged.....If he screwed up your motor would he admit it?....knowing full well that it would be hard to prove or disprove?....

Comment

Pretty fishy story, but personally, I think you're in trouble, he will deny everything to the end, just like he can't find your old injectors, bend over.....get out your wallet.

Comment

I understand the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when something like this happens - believe me, I do! But, sometimes things break - they can break while in the hands of an owner or they can break while at a shop. Just because it broke while at the shop doesn't automatically mean the shop is at fault.

Something was definitely bouncing around in there... possibly a piece of a ring, too. It looks like there is definite evidence of water being in that cylinder, too (rusty color)?
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

does the second pic show 2 holes in that cylinder?
                one for spark plug in the center and one lower about 7 o'clock?

and no one throws away injectors if they can be cleaned and reused.

Many years ago I had a ford V6 in a dealers shop to change a intake gasket or something, and the tech dropped screw or bolt into the intake port while putting it back together.
                they ended up replacing the short bock and one head free of charge after he fire it up.
                Last edited by 99yam40; 04-06-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                  I understand the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when something like this happens - believe me, I do! But, sometimes things break - they can break while in the hands of an owner or they can break while at a shop. Just because it broke while at the shop doesn't automatically mean the shop is at fault.

Something was definitely bouncing around in there... possibly a piece of a ring, too. It looks like there is definite evidence of water being in that cylinder, too (rusty color)?
                  Yes we noticed that. Mechanic never brought it up and the compression per him was "perfect" prior to. I do also realize things can break at anytime. Just with perfect compression than him replacing injectors just seems odd it broke then. Not sure if it was a piece of an injector or some other loose piece of metal fell in while it was opened up... and the engine was tilted up to make it possible for something to fall in.

Comment

does the second pic show 2 holes in that cylinder?
                    one for spark plug in the center and one lower about 7 o'clock?

and no one throws away injectors if they can be cleaned and reused.

Many years ago I had a ford V6 in a dealers shop to change a intake gasket or something, and the tech dropped screw or bolt into the intake port while putting it back together.
                    they ended up replacing the short bock and one head free of charge after he fire it up.
                    I assumed that other hole was where the injector comes in???

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could have been if it was not an injector? Do you think the mechanics thinking that it may have been something in the fuel system from the carb on back that may have broken free and entered the Cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by 5MileRacer View Post
                        Does anyone have any ideas of what it could have been if it was not an injector? Do you think the mechanics thinking that it may have been something in the fuel system from the carb on back that may have broken free and entered the Cylinder?
                        motor should not have injectors and carbs
                        should be throttle plate and reeds with screws in the intake
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 04-07-2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

motor should not have injectors and carbs
                          should be throttle plate and reeds with screws in the intake
                          Yup... I am showing my ignorance.... he had said something may have broken off in the fuel delivery system that made its way into the cylinder. Do you think that is possible, likely?

Comment

only way to know would be to take it apart and look for anything that is missing.
                            do you plan on fixing the motor or just buying a different one?

if you do not take it apart yourself, then you will have to pay someone you trust to find out what happened if they can find anything missing

Comment

Working...
                            X