No announcement yet.

Identifying lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough crowd, just trying to figure out what motor this lower unit is from (per thread title) Since it has a standard prop shaft I figured that a standard Yamaha prop will fit it but, since the water pump kit that fit is from a Dx model motor I wasn't sure if I some hybrid of lower unit.

Comment

You are over thinking this. There are no hybrid lower units.

I gave you information as to how to inspect your lower unit to determine what model type it was originally used on. I think the answer, should you choose to do the inspection, will disclose that it is a conventional gear case. That is, if it uses on only one propeller.

Better still, why not take the motor to a Yamaha dealer and ask him to install the correct propeller for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Flying fish View Post
        Tough crowd, just trying to figure out what motor this lower unit is from (per thread title) Since it has a standard prop shaft I figured that a standard Yamaha prop will fit it but, since the water pump kit that fit is from a Dx model motor I wasn't sure if I some hybrid of lower unit.
        interesting thought.
        Are the cases the same with different guts so someone could slap in standard guts?

Never mind the cases are a totally different

And why would the water pump be different on a DX from a standard?

But it is looking at the part #s
        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-06-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

------------]
          Last edited by boscoe99; 05-08-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Yes , this was fun finding the right water pump the first time I changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying fish View Post
              Yes , this was fun finding the right water pump the first time I changed it.
              Wonder how much a new lower unit would be? But this lower unit was running great before I lost my prop. And now I know which water pump to buy that solves that maintence chore. But it still would be nice to know

Comment

the DX had TWO prop shafts and TWO propellers.
                very similar to a DPS Volvo or a bravo3 mercrusier.
                its also a beast to replace a gear set in.

I have only had the chance to work on 2 DX cases.
                no more .

Comment

Any idea which lower unit I have? It looks just the dx unit but has only one prop and fits nicely on my px150

Comment

if it only has ONE prop shaft its is NOT a DX.
                    and I think the above diagram is wrong.
                    that's the plate and seal assy for an F250 style lower.all that PX stood for is Pro series OX66.

its normally a 20" shaft.

Comment

After looking at every parts diagram I found a similar lower unit, it looks like the b115tlrx lower unit looks just like the one on my motor. I assume a b115 and a px150 are similar enough for this to work? Both 1999

Comment

might check on the gear ratios

Comment

v4 and v6 did use a different gear ratio and in some cases different pump kits.

Comment

Working...
                          X