Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Battery Jump Starter

Hi Folks,

I have an old Toyota Land Cruiser. I keep one of those portable battery jump starters in the vehicle and have used it on several occasions in various ways. It has really helped me out. I'd like to get one for my boat but am not enough of an expert to know what specs would be needed. West Marine has quite a few of them in their online store for example but the actual products only say what car engines they work for. I have a 2002 2-stroke 150hp. Any advice? Bad idea in general?

Eric

If you check the specs for your engine - might be in your owner's manual, definitely in the service manual - it will tell you the minimum CCA. Mine (250HP) is 500A - obviously yours is not going to be higher, but it's probably the same. These engines turn over pretty easily. So, a 500A jump pack should be fine - but get a 1,000 for good measure. Check out the lithium ones that NOCO sells.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
      If you check the specs for your engine - might be in your owner's manual, definitely in the service manual - it will tell you the minimum CCA. Mine (250HP) is 500A - obviously yours is not going to be higher, but it's probably the same. These engines turn over pretty easily. So, a 500A jump pack should be fine - but get a 1,000 for good measure. Check out the lithium ones that NOCO sells.
      Thank you. I have the Owner's, FS and Seloc Manuals and am checking now...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          Thank you very much!

Comment

Portable jump starter in my boat is something I’ve considered but just never could find room in my 18 foot boat, but I do carry in my dry box a set of fairly light weight,jumper cables and have used them a few times over the years....to jump folks off out on the water...it’s always a real pleasure to me to help someone out on the water with a battery jump or a tow or other...

Comment

those newer ones are small and lightweight.
              should fit in glove box or dry box with no problem

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                those newer ones are small and lightweight.
                should fit in glove box or dry box with no problem
                Do you keep one in your boat?.....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post

No, I have thought about it, but I have never had a battery problem I did not catch while here at the house before heading out

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post

I do. Have three of them.. one in my car, wife's car and one for out in boat. Very small and compact. Hold their charge for it seems forever. Also can charge cell phone, ipad..

https://www.amazon.ca/GOOLOO-SuperSa.../dp/B07KYHYXYS

Comment

Working...
                    X