2005 F250, poor acceleration, top speed not affected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F250, poor acceleration, top speed not affected

Hi, first time post here. Just bought a boat last summer with a 2005 F250 TXRD. I've been doing my own maintenance, filters, spark plugs, thermostats and have had no problems at all until now. (Thermostats were stuck open, but I replaced them).

This last weekend, the third trip after thermostats / spark plug replacement and about 50 hours into new filters I ran into problems. I don't believe the problem is related to any maintenance I performed.

So halfway into fishing trip, I noticed the boat idling high (around 900 rpms), and I couldn't get the boat on plane. When trying to accelerate and get on plane, the last 3/4 to full throttle makes no difference in sound/acceleration, except gph appears to increase (on computer). Boat just pushed water, I had to lower trim tabs to get boat on plane. Once on plane after reseting trim tabs, 3/4 throttle to full adjusts acceleration, boat speed, and mpg is normal, I can pretty much reach my WOT speed/RPMs, although not fully tested because it was a little rough.

I'm trying to avoid taking boat into dealership, they are backlogged, and our fishing season is starting

Thanks for your help

The ECM controls idle speed via the electronic throttle valve.
    When it sets idle at 900,
    its sending a message that it is unhappy with one of its inputs
    such as a cam position sensor.
    If you have Command Link gauge/display, it will give you the numeric trouble code.
    Or connect the YDS diagnostic software.

Comment

Code 72, port cam sensor. Funny thing I started up the motor and it ran fine... Maybe 5-10 mins up on plane, was a bit rough so didn't get to but everything seems fine now

Comment

Following up here since I don't like I resolved threads. Problem got worse, it would flash the code after 5 minutes on plane. It was suggested to me that I replace all three cam sensors and it seems to have fixed my problem! Good luck everyone and enjoy your summer

Comment

Working...
        X