Analog Engine Gauge Outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog Engine Gauge Outboard

Got new 2020 4-stroke F40 outboard on pontoon. No engine gauges at all. Would like at least Tachometer and oil and temp/heat gauge and hour meter. I understand that I can get the 6Y5 or 6Y8-type Command Link multi gauge digital gauge. I not a fan of digital readouts. I prefer analog gauges with needles. I like the Yamaha Pro Series or Pro Series II Tachometer with the oil and temp light. All I really need, but was told it would NOT work on my 2020 F-40 because the engine is digital and not compatible with the Pro Series analog gauges. Or I’d have to get some kind of analog interface connector/adapter that cost more than the gauge itself. Yet I’m skeptical. I can’t find any information (manual or online) on if my engine is digital only or if the Pro Series gauges would work and not just the word of a guy pushing me to buy a gauge I don’t really want. Also, can not find in manual, but was told from someone else that the new F-40 has a auto alarm and automatically with throttle back to 2000rpm if engine temp is high or oil pressure drops. Again. Can’t find any info, but is that true for a new 2020 F-40 outboard??
    Thinks in advance for any helpful advice or info.

What you heard about your F40 not working with analog gauges is rubbish.

Just for reference, the 6Y5 multi-function gauge is an analog gauge as well. It just has a digital display.

The alarm system is completely separate from any gauges that are in use. The alarm buzzer is part of the key switch assembly. The alarm will sound in the event of an over temperature situation or low oil pressure situation.

Read your owner's manual.

Comment

Thank you for to info. So a $200 analog gauge interface is not required??
      Also, I did read the manual, Sorry, I didn’t quite phrase the question right. I did read and understand about the alarm in the Key / Tiller setup. What I meant to ask was questioning the engine itself automatically throttled back to 2000rpm when the engine senses the high temp or low oil and alarm goes sounds. I didn’t think a smaller outboard would have a throttle back function. No mention of that in the manual. Anyways. Thank you again for info on the main question of the analog gauges being compatible Without the need for the $200 interface thing.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Oanda1984 View Post
        What I meant to ask was questioning the engine itself automatically throttled back to 2000rpm when the engine senses the high temp or low oil and alarm goes sounds. I didn’t think a smaller outboard would have a throttle back function. No mention of that in the manual.
        The F40 is - has been since 2008 - Electronic Fuel Injection.
        The engine has an ECM - a microprocessor.

From the Owners Manual:

Overheat alert

This engine has an overheat-alert device.
        If the engine temperature rises too high, the alert device will activate.
         The engine speed will automatically decrease to about 3000 r/min.
         The overheat-alert indicator will light or blink (if equipped).
         The buzzer will sound.

Low oil pressure alert

If the oil pressure drops too low, the alert device will activate.
         The engine speed will automatically decrease to about 3000 r/min.
         The low oil pressure-alert indicator will light or blink.
         The buzzer will sound.

Comment

Thank you sir. You guys were absolutely right. I went back and searched in the manual again, I guess I didn’t see it before where the engine will reduce power automatically, sorry, but I did find it and you were both correct. Thank you.

So the main question was, since I prefer analog gauges with needles over digital readouts and from the information I got from you fine people here is that the ProSeries Tach should be compatible with my engine. So unless somebody tells me otherwise, I’m going to go with your guys advice and and get the Pro Series Analog. Pretty sure the guy that told me my engine is digitally control and it wasn’t compatible without a $200 Analog Gauge Interface to install the Pro Series was just wanting me to buy the 6Y8 instrument that he had on hand. Thanks everybody for your help..
          Last edited by Oanda1984; 03-29-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Boscoe,

What is a "charge warning unit"?

Comment

Low voltage indicator. Like you find in some automobiles.

Comment

Working...
                X