No announcement yet.

2005 Yamaha F225 Hot Restart Stalling ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha F225 Hot Restart Stalling ?

I have been having a hot restart issue with my 2005 F225. On a hot day when the engine is shut down after running. The engine will restart fine but once I try to get on plane the engine will bog down and stall. At this point all I have to do is pump the primer bulb and the engine will start and run perfectly. I have spoken to a couple others who developed a solution. The solution is to re route the VST line from the intake manifold and re route out to the atmosphere by drilling a hole in the cowling. Has anyone done this before ? I am trying to find someone in NJ that will do this job for me. Any other remedies or experience is welcome.

sounds more like the VST is running out of fuel,
    not fumes from vaperizing gas in the VST that make an over rich mix in the intake causing motor to not restart after heat soaking.

the lift pump should fill the VST at key on

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      the lift pump should fill the VST at key on
      ehh - no.
      Only the HP pump runs at key on,
      the lift pump doesn't run, until the engine does.

regardless,
      routing the vent outside the cowling isn't the fix -
      that only helps when the problem is the engine won't start -
      because its flooded...

if the VST is 'low'
      because the fuel is 'boiling off"
      re-routing the vent outside the cowling will, if anything,
      make the 'boiling off' occur more readily

I don't know what the answer is;
      is the low pressure system somehow 'not up to snuff'
      and not re-filling the VST quickly enough once it is almost empty?
      is the float setting too low?

seems the easiest & most sure approach
      is just get in the habit
      to give the primer bulb a few squeezes
      before cranking back up...

Comment

I have pumped the prime bulb before starting. Sometimes it prevents the issue from happening. Other times it still happens. Maybe im not priming it enough ?

Comment

well, apparently I was mistaken of lift pump running at key on.
          I just thought it should.

Have you ever pumped the primer until you cannot push anymore fuel into the VST?
          or at least compare how many pumps you can get into it when completely empty and then when stopped on a hot day when problem shows up?

is there a fuel cooler on this motor?
          and if so is it getting proper water flow?
          have you tried idling the motor after a hard run to cool off the motor before turning it off?

Comment

I had this problem for years with my starboard engine. I wish I knew what the smoking gun was, but I don't.

As Fairdeal said, only the HP pump is energized at key on to pressurize the fuel to the injectors. The LP pump is energized after engine start and its operation is regulated by idle speed, above or below 1200RPM.

So I could start my engine, pull up the hook, stow gear, etc, and then idle away from the spot. All of this took several minutes. You'd think that during this time the LP pump would have had ample opportunity to adequately fill the VST. Yet when I opened the throttle the engine would stumble and quit within 10-15 seconds.

I'd then go back and squeeze the bulb till firm, fire it up and go.

It made zero sense to me.

Good luck. If you find the definitive answer please post up as I know that there are a lot of guys with 225s having this and similar issues.

Comment

oldmako69 i believe some people have rerouted the VST line from the intake manifold to the atmosphere. That has fixed the issues. Wish someone that did this would chime in. Not sure if that is safe to do.

Comment

how does that stop the VST from running out of fuel?
                think about that.
                too much vapor or liquid dumped into the intake would not let the motor start due to over rich condition, but would not keep the VST from filling back up as it should

Comment

I am not sure why it works but it is the only remedy that I have heard of. I wish someone who did this would chime in.

Comment

Do a search for vapor lock you will find answers there, look for replies from Rod Bolt best advice or search fuel starvation remember something about the needed valve in the VST

Comment

Working...
                    X