1993 8HP Spitting Water and Exhaust Around Shift Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 8HP Spitting Water and Exhaust Around Shift Shaft

I replaced the impeller on my 1993 Yamaha 8HP outboard and notice water spitting/exhaust coming from the exterior hole on the front of the middle section, just above the lower unit where the shift shaft and its accordion boot enter it. Is that normal? I can provide a photo or video if that will help. Water pumping fine now from the telltale (pee) hole. Thanks!

I should have included this photo of the area where the shift shaft goes through the middle section. The exhaust comes out and water spits through the open hole surrounding the accordion boot. Trying to find out if this is configured correctly and whether this hole should be sealed somehow. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Drop the lower unit and double check your assembly after water pump service....any rubber grommets missing or assembled wrong?...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        Drop the lower unit and double check your assembly after water pump service....any rubber grommets missing or assembled wrong?...
        Thanks, Robert Graham, for the help. Followed your advice. I had put the grommet up above the accordion seal instead of in the hole in the lower part where it belonged. All is well. Photo below after correcting. Thanks again. Svenfran

Comment

Working...
        X