yamaha 60 2 stroke no power when turning key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 60 2 stroke no power when turning key

I recently bought a 2001 yr model 60 Yamaha 2 stroke that was on another boat when I bought it. Test drive was great, everything checked out, helped seller take motor off boat and into my truck for a 2hr ride home. Installed on a 15 high tide, thought I had everything right, turned key and nothing happened. Got out the multi meter and checked solenoid, getting 12v. noticed a small red wire on seller's positive battery cable when taking motor off his boat. he kept battery cables, i built new ones without small red wire. Could this be my problem? Thanks for any help.

I would think the power to start and run the motor should be on the motor itself unless someone modified it.
    need to find the place the key gets its 12 V + from and see if it is there

Comment

That smaller wire has a fuse with it also, would it possibly run the remote control box?

Comment

Without knowing the model of the motor how are we to know if it is to be operated with a tiller handle key switch or a remote control box key switch? Or where the red wire goes and what it is to do?

Comment

Boscoe, its a remote steer. Don't have the model number with me right now, but when I look up the Yamaha oem battery cables via google, they all have that small red wire with the positive battery cable. Just need to know what it's function is.

Comment

Working...
          X