Yamaha T60 TLR leaking gas into throttle body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha T60 TLR leaking gas into throttle body

I've got two 2007 Yamaha T60 TLR's almost finished with a "post-drowning rebuild", and they both have the same "one last problem to fix". The tube from the solenoid valve on top of the VST (the solenoid is part 12, #6C5-86120-00, and the tube is part 17, #6C5-12576-00 here: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...-0407/intake-2 ) leaks a constant drip-drip-drip of gas into the throttle body, and thence into the lower cowling, at idle and when throttled up. Stinky. Boom?

Got 40-42 psi out of both VST's; they will both vent gas out the little Schrader valve on the top when you pump the bulb and vent the valve stem. So they're running full to the very top. That how it supposed to be? There's no pressure relief valve between the lift pump and the VST as some Yamahas have, so nothing to fix there.

The VST's had corrosion inside, and although I cleaned them, and the needle valves (part #6C5-14546-00 here: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...jection-pump-1), I can imagine them not sealing properly because of the corrosion issue, and allowing the VST's to become too full. The floats were floaty and had no holes in them, so I think they're doing their job.

I can also imagine the solenoids being faulty, and not shutting down on that tube, and that's why the gas is filling the VSTs to the top and cruising down to the throttle body, because it's got an opening to vent to, where otherwise it would build up pressure inside the VST and stop at some point. They did drown in saltwater. Seems that solenoid shouldn't be letting a stream of gas into the throttle body. Vapor occasionally I could see, or a momentary pressure relief. What the heck is it for?

FWIW, one engine starts, idles, and throttles up perfectly; and the other one idles and throttles up rough (haven't checked ignition coils or wires yet).

Read 21 posts on the forum without finding a clue, so pardon me for asking directly. Thanks in advance for your time!

With Warm Aloha, Tim
    Last edited by KaimanaOHawaii; 03-14-2021, 09:30 PM.

just like in a carburetor, liquid fuel should not be getting that high in the VST.
    float, needle, and seat is not closing off the flow when level get where it should be stopping

Comment

The VST had saltwater in it for nearly 3 months when we got it. The needle valve seat was corroded as a result, and letting fuel past even when the valve was seated all the way up.

So, I recut the corroded valve seat at a slight angle with a tapered Dremel grinding burr in a battery drill, then planished it with a tapered steel Torx bit that was just the right diameter, using the same drill. Used the old needle valve because the new ones won't get here from eBay for a week.

And it doesn't leak a bit now.

Out-of-focus pics of the valve seat and the tools I used below:

Thanks again, 99yam40!

Aloha, Tim

Comment

Working...
      X