Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F6 steering friction adjuster proble

Hi All,

I’m relatively new to outboards so please excuse me if this is an obvious one...

I bought a F6 the other day, around 4 years old but never used. I thought I’d have a fiddle around with it today before using it on the water.

I managed to start it ok (in a bucket) but could not get it to steer. It wouldn’t swivel at all and seemed totally locked. I tried turning the “steering friction adjuster” screw a bit and after a couple of turns anti clockwise the outboard would swivel about 2 cm each way but that was it...

a few more turns of the screw got it to about 5 cm each way, and then I decided to keep on turning the screw . I turned some more, the screw came out in my hand and suddenly the outboard was swivelling perfectly.

I screwed the adjuster back in and the outboards still swivels fine. The issue is that tightening it doesn’t seem to add any tension at all and I’m concerned the steering is going to be too loose.

My best guess is that somehow it ceased in the 4 years it’s been unused and that removing the screw freed it. When I screw the adjuster back in it kind of feels like it’s meeting a spring then pop, nothing, like it’s not met the part inside it’s meant to attach to.

Could any of you give me some advice about why my steering was locked, and why I can’t add any tension to the steering any more.

thanks for your help!

model # helps others know what motor you are taking about.
    my guess is this link and part number 37, 38, 39, and 40 are the parts you speak of.
    Yamaha Outboard Parts by Year 2006 And Later OEM Parts Diagram for BRACKET | Boats.net
    Last edited by 99yam40; 03-14-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply and the link.

My model number is F6CMH.

Really helpful to see the parts. My guess is that the screw end is not finding the hole in the collar thing (37).

I’m not sure if I dare open it up myself!

Is it easy to open this part of the casing (I’d say I’m semi competent). My worry is that a load of parts will ping out and I’ll never get them back!

Comment

I do not see a F6CMH listed.
        where are you and this motor located?
        not in the USA?

I am of no help. I have never taken one like that apart before.

Thinking about this some, I would take that screw back out and look into the hole to see if I could see any threads in there.
        I do not see how taking it apart would help since it looks like that screw has to be put in after it is together

Just looked at #38 and it looks like the threads are not in the #37 area, probably in the #16 bracket
        Yamaha 6L5-42529-01-00 - SCREW, FRICTION PIECE | Boats.net
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-14-2021, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I’m in the U.K. so maybe the model numbers are different the diagram looks spot on though. I’m going to have a go at fixing it. Fingers crossed for no disasters.

Thank you for your help

Comment

I can see non use causing the mechanism to stick in place. Now that it won't tighten, only thing that I can think of is something has come detached within the friction system.

Comment

I’ve just had a go at fixing it myself. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to get the pin (38) into the hole in the friction plate (37). It’s probably something a mechanic could do in a couple of seconds so I may get someone who knows what they are doing to sort it as I can’t seem to get it working!

Comment

let us know how it get fixed,
                everyone needs to learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                X