Let's Talk Gas Tank Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Gas Tank Capacity

What’s the burn rate on a ’01 F115? I ask because on my previous Pilothouse boat that had 70-gallon tank, I *****ed for Salmon and run up/down the coast for Rock Fish and logged 60+ miles per trip. With my currently 19' Bayrunner Baja "tin", I’m about to upgrade my 12-gallon gas tank. Would an 18-gallon be enough or maybe a 24-gallon?

at or near WOT, it will burn about 11 GPH.
    after that only you can see.
    that's the nice thing about spending an extra coin upfront for command link.
    you get a real time fuel burn indication.

Comment

Command Link won't work with a 2001 F115. But, with a Yamaha Fuel Management meter you certainly can fuel burn information. In fact, connect a GPS to it and you can get miles per gallon so that you can determine your most efficient cruise RPM/MPH.

What type of chart plotter do you have? If it is NMEA 2000 compliant you can buy a simple device that will plug and play with it and which will calculate fuel burn and economy.

You can go to Yamaha's website and look at performance bulletins for a boat of your size with an F115 installed.

You can also do ruff calculations of fuel burn on your own if you are so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

...What type of chart plotter do you have? If it is NMEA 2000 compliant you can buy a simple device that will plug and play with it and which will calculate fuel burn and economy.

You can also do ruff calculations of fuel burn on your own if you are so inclined.
        I have a Lowrance LCX 38 hd is NMEA 2000 compliant which was on the boat when I bought it. On my previous boat I had the Garmin 4212 and connected the Garmin GFS 10 fuel flow sensor via NMEA 2000. I still have the GFS 10 so wonder if that's compatible with the Lowrance LCX 38?

I've calculated the F115's burn rate using the Lowrance GPS miles traveled at various rpm and the fuel added which came out to be about 4.5 mpg. So I'll probably need to upgrade my tank to a minimum of 20 gal.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
          I have a Lowrance LCX 38 hd is NMEA 2000 compliant which was on the boat when I bought it. On my previous boat I had the Garmin 4212 and connected the Garmin GFS 10 fuel flow sensor via NMEA 2000. I still have the GFS 10 so wonder if that's compatible with the Lowrance LCX 38?

I've calculated the F115's burn rate using the Lowrance GPS miles traveled at various rpm and the fuel added which came out to be about 4.5 mpg. So I'll probably need to upgrade my tank to a minimum of 20 gal.
          I suspect that it is. Try it and see.

Here is the Lowrance device that I was thinking of.

Lowrance EP 60R Fuel Flow Sensor - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            I suspect that it is. Try it and see.

Here is the Lowrance device that I was thinking of.

Lowrance EP 60R Fuel Flow Sensor - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics
            I'll try the Garmin first and if it's a "no bono", then will buy the EP 60R.

Comment

Working...
            X