90 etlh Lower Unit Gear Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 etlh Lower Unit Gear Removal

I am stripping a lower unit to have rebuilt because mine is cracked. When I got the unit it was locked up, prop shaft nor drive shaft would turn. After days of soaking and lots of heat I was able to beat the bearing carrier and prop shaft out. Now the drive shaft (still seized) and the forward gear are not budging. What can I do to get them freed and removed from case? I don't want to heat or beat something that I shouldn't in fear of cracking this case. These gear cases are really tough to find. Any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone has a lower unit for a reasonable price let me know..... Thanks!

Not sure if that case is any good if you cannot get things apart.
    What did you find when you got the prop shaft and carrier out?
    pics would be good

Comment

the foward gear is rusted as well as the driveshaft. I have soaking in Acetone and tranny fluid. If it weren't so corroded and seized would the shaft just slide upward and the foward gear slide out? or is does it have to pulled out with a puller?

Comment

once the pinion nut is removed the drive shaft can be pulled out.

Comment

with the pinion gear and drive shaft out of the way it should just lift out if it is like the C60TLRY I just took apart.
          The bearing on that gear was a roller bearing not a ball so the outer race stayed in the case but gear and bearing just lifted out

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that this evening and will post progress....

Comment

Working...
            X