Analog Gauge Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog Gauge Wiring

Can I get some help confirming what the yellow wire below is? I believe it to be the power wire but it has red on the wire and isn’t the normal plain yellow. The first picture shows what the gauge looks like and the second shows the wire I’m questioning. According to the diagram attached it appears to be a power wire but can anyone confirm that is true since it also has red markings?

(I snagged the pics from another post but mine is exactly the same as shown)

499E5CDA-C5F7-480C-9BD4-DF6CE0E0E233.jpeg

A0B8961E-3A7D-4C78-AA30-40322172518C.jpeg
    F0DD1597-3F59-4F5B-A60F-A4443AC1713B.png
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Derrick929; 03-05-2021, 09:24 PM.

Yes, both the yellow and the yellow/red get connected to ignition power;
    one powers 'the gauge itself' while the other provides power for the warning lamps
    (and then the engine con*****er provides the ground to 'turn on' the lamps)

So while for full functionality of the gauge, you need both wires connected to power,
    I imagine Yamaha uses the red stripe to distinguish which is which.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      Yes, both the yellow and the yellow/red get connected to ignition power;
      one powers 'the gauge itself' while the other provides power for the warning lamps
      (and then the engine con*****er provides the ground to 'turn on' the lamps)

So while for full functionality of the gauge, you need both wires connected to power,
      I imagine Yamaha uses the red stripe to distinguish which is which.
      Perfect, that was my assumption but wanted someone else to confirm before I fried a new gauge. I assumed it was just to provide some differentiation. Made sense to me one would power the gauge and the other would serve as power for the lights when the con*****er grounded them.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
      X