Yamaha T60 tilt/trim working weirdly, need expert opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha T60 tilt/trim working weirdly, need expert opinion

2007 Yamaha T60 TLR, when I bought the motor the tilt/trim didn't work, didn't hear clicking either. Check oil first. OK, the guy drained the thing for some reason. Fill, bleed, top off, OK. Check make sure release plug on side of motor is tight. Had 2007 115's before and am real familiar with them; and this has the same tilt/trim, just different motor and hydraulics.

Nothing. Switch tests good with Klein CL800 meter. No clicking from either side of tilt/trim relay, confirm that it's got 12V + and ground at power supply terminals. Removed the big blue and green wires and jumped alternately to 12V + and ground: tilt/trim works perfectly up AND down. OK, get new tilt/trim relay and install.

Works perfectly UP, and Klein clamp-on ammeter on big blue wire shows 10.42 A when motor is tilting up. But relay clicks loudly for down (big green wire) and won't go, Klein meter shows no current in Green wire. Jump blue and green wires to power and both up and down work perfectly. Again.

Put second new relay on (I have twins, bought two just in case); same symptoms. With big blue and green wires still off, put the meter on the Down terminal where the big green wire attaches, and find 12V there when the switch is switched.

First thought: new relay is working, but Green side of the relay can't carry the current for some reason, even though it shows 12V when switched. So I take relay out of motor, set up with 9.5 A, 12V load in shop (12-volt blower) and relay works perfectly, wired to emulate both "Up" and "Down". Hmm.

Second thought: Green wire to tilt/trim motor has a fault and is interacting with the relay in a mystic manner I've never seen before. Because it works just fine, all the way down, when jumped to the juice. If there was a fault, it would A. Not carry the current B. Pop a fuse (?) C. Melt the wire. Yeah?

Tilt/trim works up/down, relay works up/down, switch works in both directions. But they don't want to sit at the same table.

What in Heaven's name is going on? Any ideas from the old-timers on the board? Sure could use a pointer here.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Aloha, Tim

Well is this a 2 wire T&T motor?
    if so you need to make sure the motor is getting the 12 pos and the 12 V neg when going both up and Down.
    when de energized the relay should close to the negative, when energized either the up or the down side will close to the positive the other side should keep the neg
    Last edited by 99yam40; 03-08-2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X