2001 250 OX66 driveshaft / Lower unit removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TownsendsFJR1300

Thanks, but yes, all 9 bolts removed. Also, this unit does not have a connected shift rod, rather as mentioned the small shaft on the lower unit like this picture.

Also, have yet to apply any further removal methods mentioned here, including liquid wrench.

Comment

Thanks..

On the picture above, just FORWARD (to the right as you look at the picture) of your circle is a hole. It looks large enough for either a stud or nut.

Is that just a casting or may it have something to do with attaching the LU?
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That is the socket for the pin (item 9 in the illustration below) that conveys water pressure from the Pitot tube. It should just slide apart. Just like the female splined connection fitting on the shift shaft should slide apart from the male splined shirt rod in the lower unit.

2002 SX225TXRA Yamaha Outboard UPPER CASING Diagram and Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          That is the socket for the pin (item 9 in the illustration below) that conveys water pressure from the Pitot tube. It should just slide apart. Just like the female splined connection fitting on the shift shaft should slide apart from the male splined shirt rod in the lower unit.

2002 SX225TXRA Yamaha Outboard UPPER CASING Diagram and Parts
          Thanks, sure does...
          Scott

Comment

Any updates????
            Scott

Comment

Yes, worked on it over the weekend and got nowhere!! Tried it all, thing would not budge. The other motor had no issue, the lower dropped with no effort. I've resorted to take this to a shop and let them give it a shot, and go from there. I'll update after they take a crack at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 31jupiter View Post
                Yes, worked on it over the weekend and got nowhere!! Tried it all, thing would not budge. The other motor had no issue, the lower dropped with no effort. I've resorted to take this to a shop and let them give it a shot, and go from there. I'll update after they take a crack at it.
                It "probably" just needs a little more force to the 'wiggle and tap' method. You can actually be kinda rough with these, but it's very hard to portray how much force is OK through a forum. If you're concerned about causing damage, then it's probably best to hire someone. Chances are better than not that it'll be an easy fix for them. Not guaranteed, of course, but chances are good.
                Last edited by DennisG01; 05-09-2015, 09:50 AM.
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by 31jupiter View Post
                  I've resorted to take this to a shop and let them give it a shot, and go from there. I'll update after they take a crack at it.
                  Anything yet?
                  Scott

Comment

wont be the first motor I ever sawalled the shaft just below the powerhead then removed the powerhead to get the stub out then replaced the driveshaft.

however if one follows the maint schedule this NEVER happens.

not all motors are worth the labor to perform the above procedure.

all over 2 fingers of grease every 200 hours OR once per year just like the maint sheet says.

Comment

Guess we may never know....
                      Scott

Comment

Ok, the shop was backed up for a few weeks, but I finally got the boat to them. They said it was stuck pretty good, but managed to get it to drop with no damage. They said wedges and a good beating was all it needed.

My problem was just being on the boat lift and working from the float made it a bit tough to get the leverage. Thanks for all your input.

Comment

Working...
                        X