Primestart issue 9.9 FT4 1998 AXE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primestart issue 9.9 FT4 1998 AXE

No power going to the Primestart, both leads go to ground. Primestart works ok when tested. Is there an alternative to replacing the lighting coil? Could 12v be picked up elsewhere? Any advice much appreciated

how did you test this?
    what do you mean both wires go to ground?

did you hand trace the wires to see where they go?
    power should come from lighting coil only while motor is running to heat up the wax pellet to close it off on my 2 stroke, not sure on your 4 stroke
    Last edited by 99yam40; 03-04-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

image_5838.png I think that the wire colours are confusing the OP. They are black which in a Yam is typically for ground.
      Last edited by boscoe99; 03-04-2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cleddau1 View Post
        No power going to the Primestart, both leads go to ground. Primestart works ok when tested. Is there an alternative to replacing the lighting coil? Could 12v be picked up elsewhere? Any advice much appreciated
        Are you saying that when the motor is running that there is no voltage on the wire leads from the portion of the stator coil that normally powers the Primestart component?

Comment

Thanks for replies. Obviously did not explain myself clearly. Each of the black wires that go to the Primestart when connected to ground/earth/engine chassis via ohmmeter show zero resistance. The Primestart itself when supplied with12v retracts happily. Engine runs rich, plugs soot up. Engine is happy if I supply a separate 12v to the Primestart. Seems to me the lighting coil is toast. Looks fiddly to replace. So is there another way I can supply 12v to the Primestart when key is switched on or when the engine is running by picking up 12v from somewhere in the wiring. Clearly I could run a separate lead from the battery via a switch but I would have to remember to switch it off/on and I was looking for a less crude solution.

Comment

Measure the coil resistance. Should be low ohms. Measure the AC voltage output from the coil when the motor is running at a fast idle.

You should be able to tap into the lighting coil output to get electrical power to the Primestart.

The Primestart device is powered any time the motor is running.

Comment

Resistance across the two black wires when disconnected from the Primestart is zero ohms. Output from the same 2 black wires at all engine speeds is zero volts.

Comment

Originally posted by cleddau1 View Post
                Resistance across the two black wires when disconnected from the Primestart is zero ohms. Output from the same 2 black wires at all engine speeds is zero volts.
                If the two black wires have 100% continuity between then while providing zero voltage I would presume that one of the wires or the coil itself is grounded.

Tap into the lighting coil circuitry and see if that will power the Primestart device.

Comment

Very puzzled by these replies so I guess I have the wrong end of the stick. So to clarify:
                  Am I right in thinking that the two black wires going to the Primestart originate from the lighting coil?
                  If the answer is yes and there is no voltage across the wires when engine is running and no resistance across the wires does this mean the lighting coil has failed?

Comment

From what I am seeing for that model, there is a Prime start coil and a lighting coil. Latter providing electrical power to the R/R.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe, What is R/R and what colour are the wires coming from the lighting coil?

Comment

R/R is the rectifier/regulator if one is installed. Wire colours from the lighting coil are typically green and green.

Comment

Thank You Boscoe, so is it the lighting coil that provides the charge to the battery(AKA alternator?)?

Comment

yes, that is what charges the battery

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X