Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 300HP vs V8 350HP

Hi
    Joined today and hoping to get some suggestion regarding engine choice for my ordered 2021 Bennington 24LXSB Tri Toon with ESP.125 Toon Package. The boat is rated for up to 350HP and currently pre rigged for Yamaha power assist steering with a Simard 7"
    I read a few post on other sites and talked to 1 dealer and they are showing concern with the V8 350 flywheel needing replacement every 100 hour plus or minus when at a certain RPM range.
    If I was to order a new V8 -350 in next week would that still be the case or has Yamaha corrected the flywheel issue?

Note: By all means I'm not a expert on engine but this is my reasons for considering the V8 350 over the V6 200 and feel free to correct any or all of the following reasons.

1. :Buy biggest you can afford theory
    2. Hoping for quiet ride when cruising with the V8 not working as hard
    3. Somewhat better fuel consumption
    4. Hole shot for pulling water skiers
    5. The fun of the extra HP for speed

Thanks is advance

Patrick
    Iron Whale

I am no help, but I would not buy a motor that would need a flywheel change every 100 hours

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      I would not buy a motor that would need a flywheel change every 100 hours
      I have no enthusiasm for 350 hp engines
      but to be fair, its not every 100 operating hours,
      it's every 100 hours of operation between 3400 to 4250 rpm
      and the ECM keeps track of that.

Given that 'the average boater" only puts ~100 hours total use on his boat each year
      and that time in that 3400-4250 rpm range may be only a small fraction of total hours
      the flywheel may come up for changing only every few years.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

I have no enthusiasm for 350 hp engines
        but to be fair, its not every 100 operating hours,
        it's every 100 hours of operation between 3400 to 4250 rpm
        and the ECM keeps track of that.

Given that 'the average boater" only puts ~100 hours total use on his boat each year
        and that time in that 3400-4250 rpm range may be only a small fraction of total hours
        the flywheel may come up for changing only every few years.
        still buying a motor with self destruction built into it is not a good idea to me

Comment

still buying a motor with self destruction built into it is not a good idea to me
          Since the post, I was told that the V8 350 is being discontinued and something will replace it but not known what that something will be yet. With that said, I've went with the 300HP and not worried about be happy with it. My dad is looking down at me saying WTF are you doing with a pontoon boat with a 300HP on it since we had a 40Hp pontoon for years.

Comment

You might want to avoid gas turbine powered air planes then.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

You might want to avoid gas turbine powered air planes then.
              I have been up before in some small planes that I am sure were not turbine powered in the 60s.
              I did get on a plane back in the 70s and flew back to Tx from Idaho after driving up there with my sister to make sure she and her old pu made the trip.

I am not a frequent flier so I should be safe

Comment

Working...
              X