idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle

The idle on my 1998 two stroke Yamaha 25 hp outboard motor model # 25ELRW is running about 1400 RPM. The idle adj. screw is completely adj. out to lower idle but 1400 is as low as it will go. I've adj. the pilot screws and set the static timing but with the idle at 1400 I can't set the timing with a timing light. I've also disassembled and cleaned carburetors, and choke is full open. So my question is how can I lower the idle to factory spec of 800 to 900 RPM.

Originally posted by fisherman363 View Post
    The idle on my 1998 two stroke Yamaha 25 hp outboard motor model # 25ELRW is running about 1400 RPM. The idle adj. screw is completely adj. out to lower idle but 1400 is as low as it will go. I've adj. the pilot screws and set the static timing but with the idle at 1400 I can't set the timing with a timing light. I've also disassembled and cleaned carburetors, and choke is full open. So my question is how can I lower the idle to factory spec of 800 to 900 RPM.
    why can you not measure what the timing is doing with a light to see if it is in spec?
    too far advanced will increase Idle RPM

Comment

It appears the the timing mark at 7 degrees BTDC for idle is out of view for the timing light at 1400 rpm. I tried to retard spark and it slowed the idle slightly but the motor wasn't running well with that adjustment.

Comment

If the timing is off, then the carb adjustments get out of wack when you adjust them trying to correct it.
        My 99 C40 was too far retarded when I bought it 3rd hand.
        I did everything I could think of to correct it and get the motor to idle properly,
        but ended up replacing the CDI as that is what con*****ed the timing on my motor.
        not sure if your motors timing is manual con*****ed with linkage or con*****ed by the CDI,
        or even if that is the problem, but you need to find a way to correct the timing

Comment

Look for a possible air leak, or the idle passages in the carbs were not cleaned properly, how did you clean the carbs?

Comment

Working...
          X