lower mount cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower mount cover

I recently was going to pull my lower unit of my 115HP 2-stroke Yamaha to change my water pump impeller. After removing the 6 bolts, trim tab and the bolt under the trim tab section the unit still wouldn't drop. I removed the lower mount cover looking for a bolt when I learned it is spring loaded, now cant get the cover back on. What do I need to do to get the lower mount cover back on? Your help will be greatly appreciative.

A year and model # would be helpful..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I can't think of anything on the lower unit that is spring loaded... can you clarify or post a picture or maybe even the parts diagram for your motor?

Lowers sometimes get stuck (salt buildup) at where the driveshaft enters the crank - often, but not always, the reason is not dropping it on a regular basis and/or not using proper grease on the splines. You might need to get creative with wedges, hammering, etc.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

It's model #C115TLRY MFD 5/99 and right above the lower unit you have two lower mount covers one on each side

Comment

Comment

I am guessing this shows what you are talking about,(#27) but I do not know anything about putting it back together

Comment

#27 is the cover I can't get back on. Thank you

Comment

When I removed the screw like a dope, the cover sprang off. I tried to get it back on until I was tired of fighting with it.

Comment

I'd take a guess the front (with one bolt being at the rear) of #27, may have a tab that has to be inserted first perhaps?

Then push in the rear and THEN insert the bolt.

Why there's a spring there, ??

Got this pic from E-bay, pic of your part (used). I strongly suspect that curved section,
                  at the very top pf the pic, slips over the engine area(with the spring), then install your bolt.

Capture.JPG
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-24-2021, 03:08 PM.
                  Scott

Comment

Yes sir I do believe that's how it goes, but it wasn't making it easy for me. Thank you for your help

Comment

I'm guessing that spring is just to keep it from rattling with just one bolt holding the other end on...

Scott

Comment

I think when I tried to get the cover on the other day I didn't have both springs aligned where they were getting compressed, but yesterday I got it back on first try. I want to thank you all of you for your guidance that gave me the confidence to get it on with out taking it to a shop or breaking anything.

Comment

good to hear you got that figured out,
                          but the big question now is did you get the lower unit off to do the pump service?

Comment

Glad to hear you got it back on. Weird about the spring, though - I mean, obviously it's some type of vibration dampening, but my bracket/cover does not use a spring, even though they're pretty much the same design overall. Gotta wonder why the difference, you know?
                            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                            X