Medium Pressure Fuel Pump Safety Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium Pressure Fuel Pump Safety Device

Question. I filled my remote oil tank yesterday (went pass the upper line on the tank) and went to take out the boat today but could not get an initial start. I pulled back out of the water and used the emergency switch on the motor's oil tank with the oil line disconnected to my motor's tank to transfer oil out of the remote tank to a small container. When the oil level dropped down I heard the VST fuel pump kick on. Is there a saftey switch to prevent the motor from starting if you do a bone head like me and overfill that remote tank? I'm guessing yes, or should I be looking for something else that kept that VST fuel pump from kicking on?

I have never heard or read of any link between oil level and VST pump turning on or off

Comment

There is no connection whatsoever between the VST pump and either oil tank.

Either the main tank or the boat mounted tank can be completely overfilled without the engine even knowing about it.

Comment

care to rewrite the issue?
        I speak English but sometimes barely.
        whats a remote tank?
        whats an engine tank?
        I can deal with page long paragraphs.

I am clueless about most of what was posted.

other than there is no connection between the oil transfer and the fuel pump, other than they BOTH have to have the 12V signal AND a ground path.

remember, the remote tank is the one NOT mounted on the engine.

Comment

An engine tank is one that is mounted on an engine. AKA the main tank.

A remote tank is one that is mounted remotely from the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            There is no connection whatsoever between the VST pump and either oil tank.

Either the main tank or the boat mounted tank can be completely overfilled without the engine even knowing about it.
            Thanks, that was helpful. Sorry if my terminology isn't up to par for others to have understood what I was speaking about.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              care to rewrite the issue?
              I speak English but sometimes barely.
              whats a remote tank?
              whats an engine tank?
              I can deal with page long paragraphs.

I am clueless about most of what was posted.

other than there is no connection between the oil transfer and the fuel pump, other than they BOTH have to have the 12V signal AND a ground path.

remember, the remote tank is the one NOT mounted on the engine.
              Boscoe got my question answered. Thanks anyway though.

Comment

its not so much your terminology, its ours.

I deal with technical cwap all de dang day long.

if you deviate from the terms we are used to seeing then double them it sometimes leads to confusion on one or both sides.
                that's why I like to be clear.
                its also why I wont post again about your issue unless you post a freaking model number.

you see your baby, I see a puter screen.

heck I aint even sure your sure you even have a medium pressure pump.
                confusing

Comment

its not so much your terminology, its ours.

I deal with technical cwap all de dang day long.

if you deviate from the terms we are used to seeing then double them it sometimes leads to confusion on one or both sides.
                  that's why I like to be clear.
                  its also why I wont post again about your issue unless you post a freaking model number.

you see your baby, I see a puter screen.

heck I aint even sure your sure you even have a medium pressure pump.
                  confusing
                  Sorry, I am horrible about not posting that model # aint I. It's a Yamaha HPDI model VZ250TLR. Sorry. I had a shutdown today out on the lake on a high rev. It fired right up after that and ran fine. However I am now worried I may have done a head gasket in when it happened. I ran it afterward when I got home on the flusher. I have bad water pressure here, and I started seeing some steam exhausting at the prop after about 5 minutes running after it warmed up. It's pretty cool outside today so ambient air temp might be a factor for seeing the steam vapor in the exhaust. I shut it down when I saw it.

Comment

NOTHING with ANY alarms will shut that motor off.
                    IF you suspect it overheated you may wish to pop the heads off.

I just buryied one today.
                    it had an overheat 44 hrs ago.
                    spit the piston ring retaining pin.
                    then the next 44 hours the ring rotated until it hit the ex port.

poof no motor.

the Z and VZ motors don't tolerate lean or overheat conditions very well.

Comment

NOTHING with ANY alarms will shut that motor off.
                      IF you suspect it overheated you may wish to pop the heads off.

I just buryied one today.
                      it had an overheat 44 hrs ago.
                      spit the piston ring retaining pin.
                      then the next 44 hours the ring rotated until it hit the ex port.

poof no motor.

the Z and VZ motors don't tolerate lean or overheat conditions very well.
                      I checked with my YDS software. There has been no overheats. My concern was a possible blown head gasket. I know a leak down test would be very telling. Is there a fitting one can obtain and a documented proceedure for performing that test?

Comment

Working...
                      X