300HP Tilt/Trim Issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300HP Tilt/Trim Issue.

have question about my tilt/trim on my 2020 twin F300s.
    lifted both to the trailer position vie the trim switches at the console. Lowered using the trim switch via the binnacle. Only the starboard motor went to the full down position. The port motor is stopping at the full trim position at the 2 hydraulic pistons. the trim motor is operating however the motor not lower beyond this position.
    Confirmed the trailer lock is not engaged... What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any input.

G

I can only suggest raise that motor fully up and check the oil in the t/t unit. Chances are that it is low and introducing air into the system. An engine that new shouldn’t really have anything fail/blocked.

Comment

learned something new on the Yamaha motors. The port side low speed hydraulic ram become stuck in the up position after bringing the motors to the trailer position.
      Placed the motors in reverse while pressing the Trim Down switch at aprox 1200rpm. Motor lowered back to the ful bottom trim position.
      Local Yamaha mechanic claims this is normal???

Comment

Find another mechanic, BS....
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yeah, that's not right. It may be normal as in "he's seen it happen before", but it's not really "normal". It shouldn't do that. If that was normal, how would one lower the engine when out of the water?

Start with fluid check. May need to pull the trim rams out and check them out - possibly something is in there from original assembly and is blocking the passageways - which are quite small.

But... you've got a warranty - let your Yamaha dealer take care of it.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Im going to set it up with local Yamaha rep for warranty service. My opinion is that the ram or the entire assembly needs replacement. 2020 with 50hrs.... its not right.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

It's unlikely that the dealer will spend the time to completely dismantle the assembly (I've done it... it's quite labor intensive with lot's of little parts) to fully clean it out. Nor would Yamaha spend the money for that labor. Most likely, they'll just pop a new one in and send the old one back to Yamaha. It's easier/cheaper for them to do it that way (not that that's a bad thing on their end - it's just a cost thing).
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Plz post back how it "goes"...

Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X