2001 150hp OX66 hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 150hp OX66 hard to start

My 2001 150 Yamaha OX66 runs great at idle and on plane. My problem is after I run on plane then stop and fish for about 20-30 min when I turn the key it starts and dies. It may take 3-4 attempts to start. Once it starts, it runs great. What I have found is, if I fish for a couple of hours and engine is cold, it starts perfectly first time. Motor has about 2500 hrs on it and has been well maintained. Any mechanics out there your input would be greatly appreciated.

does it help to pump the bulb before firing it back up?

Yamaha recommends running motor at idle for a little while after high speed runs to cool motor down some before shutting it down.
    Might be boiling the fuel out of the system on the motor if hot soaking

Comment

2001 150hp OX66 hard to start

I've had the motor for 14 years and have never pumped the bulb once. Always fired up super quick. I had all the filters changed out, screen cleaned out, bulb replaced, and put new plugs in it and no change. Always let it idle while I'm parking my truck and idle out of no wake area. Rarely run above 4000 RPM. When cold, engine starts like a new one. If I start it immediately after shutting down, it fires right up but if I wait 30 min, then it's hard to start.

Comment

Running WOT

I sugest to all my guys that ask..to let the motor idle for a min or so after a hard run..as to your fireing up issue you might try hitting the primer bulb and see what you get!! and also is this a new issue ? did it happen all of a sudden and constat or slowly and irratic?

Comment

Working...
        X