X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 4 Stroke - engine starts but goes off in 1st gear

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me out:

I have a problem with my Yamaha 9.9 4 Stroke outboard. I can start the engine and it also operates in idle state but once I change to the first gear the engine goes off.
    Do you have an idea what could be the reason? Any good guesses?

BR from Germany
    Stefan

Probably fuel starvation of sorts, a number of possible causes. If the engine dies straight away the most probable is that the carby has blocked jets.
    Before going to the trouble of cleaning the carby it is worth while to make sure ample clean fuel is actually getting to the engine and that filters are not blocked, or indeed there are no leakages.
    The principle is that you start from the fuel tank and follow the fuel line and filters to the carby. If any of these things need cleaning or replacing it’s best to do in that order, because if there is a problem in those things and the carby has been thoroughly cleaned first you will have to clean it again.

Comment

What is the model of the motor? All Yams are equal. Some are just more equaler than others.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        What is the model of the motor? All Yams are equal. Some are just more equaler than others.
        I do not know the exact model name right know as the boat is stored. However I have the manual at home which states "Outboards F8B / F9.9A / F9.9B".
        And I remember it is Yamaha 9.9 four stroke - so either A or B model.

Comment

I found more info: it is Yamaha F-9.9

Comment

do you have any idea how many years Yamaha made a F9.9?

Do you know what year yours was made?
            does this motors carb have a choke or is it prime start enrichment?
            Last edited by 99yam40; 02-22-2021, 06:27 PM.

Comment

F9.9A through 2012. F9.9B from 2013 thru today. Carburetted models.

Are you letting the motor become fully warmed up before shifting it into gear? Is the choke fully closed before you shift it?

If you pump the primer bulb firm before you make the shift does it make any difference?

My wild eyed guess would be that the carburetor needs to be cleaned. And by cleaned I don't mean squirting some snake oil into it.

Comment

Working...
              X