Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rectifier replaced but still not charging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier replaced but still not charging.

A shop changed the recitifier and had 14v yesterday. Today took the boat out and shows only 12.5v. WTF?

charging

how old are your batts and did you do the common mistake of using deep clycles ???

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
      how old are your batts and did you do the common mistake of using deep clycles ???

Brand new group 29 deep cycle batteries. Why a mistake on deep cycle?
      I'm just waiting for daylight so I can thoroughly check it out.

Comment

sun came up already here in Tx
        are you under those rain clouds there in La?

Use a good volt meter to measure at batteries and up through the battery switches and motor. to see what you get

Hard to believe it would have gone out again so quickly.
        make sure there are no loose connections through out the system as that can cause RR problems

Comment

It is not unheard of for a new electrical component to fail right out of the box. Not common however.

What model Yamaha do you have? Yamaha once poo poo'd deep cycle and AGM batteries but have since changed their minds. As long as the battery meets the specification requirements it should not be a battery issue.

Before you take it back to the shop you might want to double check all of the electrical connections, particularly the battery cables at both ends and where the new rectifier/regulator connects to the motor, particularly the ground connection point.

Comment

Sun finally came up here in CA.

Took a reading at the motor connectors that read 13.7 at idle so I disconnected each connector at the batteries, Blue Sea switch and at the motor then applied delectric grease. All good now.
            Chasing electrical grimlin is not my forte'.
            Gotta love this site!!

Comment

for some reason I though you were in La, maybe I was not fully awake when I posted.

Glad you are back in business

Comment

Deep cycle batterys

I see this uphill fight daily !! outboards don't like DC batts and CDI electronic co. that makes all the aftermarket replacement (great parts) and testers have spent much time on the phone with them about this issue..Im a marine electrician and have 35+ years in this biz and cannot tell you how many stators I've had to replace because of deep cycle batts..."Bob,john,and billy bob run deep cycle's !! I guess that's what I need to run"...A marine "cranking battery" is the way to go and for god's sake,,,,don't mix batts !!! if using more than one use the same make,style and age of batts......Grrrrr !! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                  ... if using more than one use the same make,style and age of batts......Grrrrr !! LOL
                  So if using two liked batteries with the make, style and age then it's alright if they're deep cycle?

Comment

Mucho confusion about lead acid batteries (AGM and flooded cell) and starting versus deep cycle.

I have used all types with nary a problem. I suspect that many ills of electrical systems (mostly connections) get blamed on the poor battery. Certainly this was the case at Yamaha US where every electrical issue was suspected of being a problem as a result of using an AGM battery.

Then, all of a sudden, they were perfectly acceptable. One day a no no. Next day they were just fine. Nothing else at all had changed.

If a battery can meet the electrical requirements of a starting system then does the motor really know or care what type of battery it comes from? It is either taking current from a battery or it is providing it to a battery. All the rectifier/regulator knows to do is to try and maintain an output voltage.

Like octane, batteries are widely misunderstood and the subject of great debate amongst mechanics.

Comment

deep cycle

Ya know Its get rather tiresome to talk about this issue so much for me...batterys are one on of the most misunderstood things on a boat..and it does make a hell of a lot different what you use..even with a small motor...oppps..got a run

Comment

Deep cycle batts 4th attempt ! ! GGrrr

A deep cycle charges & discharges at different rate that a cranking batt...I see a lot guys using a deep and cranking on a battery switch...which is fine if your drain the deep down and then switch to the cranking batt and charge the deep at home.. REMEMBER the stator is not for charging batterys !! But to maintain state of charge..the fastest way to kill a batt is to let sit discharged...also the blue finned battery isolaters is not a good way to go. you lose 1.0V across the zenior diodes...a switch,,compiner or "Blue Sea's" ACR'S have worked good for me on new installs.. The Tech at CDI electronics tells me when someone calls in about a warrenty on a stator the first thing he asks "what kind of battery are you using? answer "deep cycle" he replies "sorry, did you not read your owners manual?"...also a friend of mine that sells a lot of marine parts has stopped selling the "optama battery" to boat guys..they just don't hold up unless you have plugged into a good smart charger. I specialize in Electrical & Fuel Injection... I wont get into AGM or GEL here as it dosnt apply to smaller vessels..Its been a long uphill battle.about deep cells.."billy bob,jose and jojo all use D/C batts !! they havnt had any problems...Wrong.. how many times did they need help on the water or constant battery replacement..or a no start condition because of a burnt stater or regulator....I have no reason to lie about something I do 8 days a week... also I see a lot guys carry all kinds of spare parts in the boat... like you change them with afternoon winds and sea's..try it some time Ha Ha.. I work on a few Patrol boats and they all tell when they get on scene the cowlings off and parts all over the deck...enough for now and excuse my spelling..as I aint schooled much bout spelling !!
                        Last edited by bajakeith; 04-24-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

See if I've this right. A regular battery for cranking the motor. A deep cell battery for downriggers, electronics, bilge pump, etc? Humm .

Comment

Yep That do it

But trying to charge the deep cycle in conjuction with the cranking batter is the stator/reg burner...on smaller boats it depends on many facters and of course cost's..I have seen guys that when *****ing start with a GOOD known fresh battery and then stop the motor and switch to the cranking and start and run home..at idle *****ing speeds the charge coils don't get worked hard..matter fact most don't start really charge till somewhere around 2grand and up...not one answer across the board for boats and motor combos.. and a very select few outboards ate now coming out that will charge a deep cycle ...what usally happens is the stator is working like hell to fully charge the deep cycle and gets hot and melts the insulation and shorts..there is Soooo many varibles that come into play on this subject...One the best flywheels ever designed was the Omc's with a built in cooling fan on top..such a good design the Bombardia kept for the new ETECS

Comment

Working...
                            X