Lithium Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Battery

Has anyone tried one yet? I just bought a 12 volt 12 amp hour one to play with. Very very different.

Light weight of course. Takes a lot of amps even when near charged or fully charged. Nothing at all like a lead acid battery. Automatically stops the flow of current to the battery from time to time to keep it from over heating I am guessing.

There is a smartphone app so that one can view the status of the battery. Voltage, current out, current in, temperature, etc..

Pretty cool stuff.

link to what you got.
    size, weight, cost
    not sure what they are meant to be used for
    can they be charged with solar?
    or need a special charger?

Comment

A buddy of mine has a few on his boat. They are pretty nice. Lost A lot of weight in the boat just by changing the batteries. They seem to last quiet a bit longer too. we can fish all day long and come back home with 60% left. (36V *****ing motor and multiple charts/sonars). Only downside is the initial cost...Boy are they expensive!!! Luckily he is a dealer so he gets them slightly cheaper, but not much.

I have heard that it takes a different type of battery charger to charge them properly. ( I think it takes more voltage than typical battery chargers) might want to read up on that for the longevity of the battery

Once the technology becomes a little better and they become more affordable, Lithiums will be the way to go....

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        link to what you got.
        size, weight, cost
        not sure what they are meant to be used for
        can they be charged with solar?
        or need a special charger?
        https://lithiumhub.com/product/12-volt-12ah-battery/

Depending upon the size, used for cranking battery, house battery, *****ing motor battery.

No special charger needed. Although there is a lot of controversy on the innerweb about this.

Comment

Originally posted by brian3006 View Post
          A buddy of mine has a few on his boat. They are pretty nice. Lost A lot of weight in the boat just by changing the batteries. They seem to last quiet a bit longer too. we can fish all day long and come back home with 60% left. (36V *****ing motor and multiple charts/sonars). Only downside is the initial cost...Boy are they expensive!!! Luckily he is a dealer so he gets them slightly cheaper, but not much.

I have heard that it takes a different type of battery charger to charge them properly. ( I think it takes more voltage than typical battery chargers) might want to read up on that for the longevity of the battery

Once the technology becomes a little better and they become more affordable, Lithiums will be the way to go....
          According to the battery supplier, it is a drop in replacement battery.

Price is too prohibitive for me.

Comment

This bad boy, as small as it is, chugs down the amps. This is with the battery fully charged. My lead acid batteries taper off to about an amp or less when fully charged. If and when too much amperage flows for too long it will electronically disconnect the battery from the power supply.

Comment

Why the Overcurrent charging fault showing?

$119 for a 12 AH battery?
              not sure what I would use a 12AH battery for

Comment

The battery comes with a built in BMS. Battery Management System. That system turns off the current flow to the battery as needed. It temporarily sets the code. After a short while the fault goes away and current flow resumes.

Comment

Expensive yes.

For some I suppose that it is worth the exorbitant price.

Years ago I fished out of a skiff having a motor with no battery charging capability. Had a depth finder. Reasonable sized heavy lead acid battery would run out of juice. An Li battery would have been more than needed.

Comment

It just seems to me a small lawnmower battery about that size would be more than 12 AH,
                    maybe I am missing something here

Comment

It just seems to me a small lawnmower battery about that size would be more than 12 AH,
                      From what I read, a 50 AH Li battery has the equivalent capacity of a 100 AH lead acid battery. Li can be depleted to about the 20% level without damage, whereas a lead acid battery is stated to have a 50% level.

Much great life in discharge/charge cycles. Less voltage drop as it is being depleted. 70% less weight.

For those that have four, five or more batteries the weight savings seem to be the biggest benefit.

The cost is the killer. So far.

Comment

If it is an automotive battery then more than enough to start up to medium size outboards. I think Harley Davidson use this size for their big cruisers.

Comment

Life better in every way to lead acid. IMO the most significant thing is that they can be recharged in one or two hours compared with ten hours for lead acid. This means you don’t need to drive all day to get them full again.
                          The cost is something you weigh against the advantages. It also depends on whether you trust that they will last as claimed. I am always cautious with my spending on something that may just unexpectedly fail.
                          Last edited by zenoahphobic; 02-13-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Rumor has it that they use enough current when being charged that the engines generator/alternator can be damaged. I am sceptical.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              Rumor has it that they use enough current when being charged that the engines generator/alternator can be damaged. I am sceptical.
                              Yes, alternators need to be upgraded for continuous use current. Otherwise at full current for awhile they will overheat. I believe adequate heat sink will do the trick, might even be aftermarket slip ons somewhere.
                              Also to some extent the electronics in the battery BMS current limits. They after all included this within the battery to make them adapt to existing charging systems for straight swap over..
                              Last edited by zenoahphobic; 02-15-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X