Trim/tilt adjustment f150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim/tilt adjustment f150

I have an 06 f150 . The old tilt/trim cam broke so t replaced with the new stainless steel version . I can't adjust it . Screw facing the bow and tab under the plastic arm. Should the tab be above the black plastic arm . Also top bar on gauge is flashing . Gauge shows full up always . It's been about 10 months since I've messed with this issue or had the boat in the water so my memory will.need some refreshing.
    Last edited by gsdanno1; 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM.

Looks under the cam arm to me.

Comment

That's exactly how I installed mine . Time to check the arm and the switch . Thanks

Comment

New sensor installed and all within spec . Still have full bars all the time . A separate problem is an intermittent "no down" when lowering the motor . This from both the helm and switch on the side of the motor . I haven't checked the manual because my computer is due to a power outage

Comment

Full bars might indicate a loss of connection with the sender or perhaps the sender has failed.

Comment

Sender has no connection with the functionality of the trim tilt system.

Comment

Right the bars just indicate the gauge is working right ?

Comment

Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
                New sensor installed and all within spec . Still have full bars all the time .
                Wanna hear something strange? I always have full bars on the trim level gauge. I've physically watched the engine push the trim lever switch down, but still full bars. However, and here's the strange part, if I push the trim lever switch with my finger, then the bars react appropriately. Doesn't really matter much to me,though, as I can see the engine and once I'm up on plane, the bars are relatively useless (unless I could fix it for free).
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Boscoe , I realize these are 2 separate issues and I'm looking first to try and figure out why I still have full bars on the gauge

Comment

It was not Boscoe that brought up the issue of what is believed to be the trim/tilt relay not working in the middle of a thread about a problem with trim sender.

Go to the back of the tachometer. Disconnect the four pin connector that has the pink wire within it. Jumper a known good ground wire to the terminal for the pink wire on the gauge side. Wait a bit. The top bar should stop flashing and the bar scale should go to the full down position. Remove the ground wire. The bar scale should go to the full up position and start flashing. Indicating the motor is out of the trim range. That tells you the gauge is working.

Go to the trim sender. Disconnect the coupler within the lower cowling. Put your multimeter on the ohms scale and connect one lead to the pink wire terminal and one lead to the black wire terminal. Measure the ohms at one end of the sender range and then at the other end of the sender range. If the ohms are within limits that tells you the sender is good.

If the sender is good and the gauge is good it would appear to be a loss of connectivity within the wire harnesses from the trim sender coupler to the tachometer coupler.

Comment

I installed new sender yesterday and adjusted to spec so that part is good. I'll check the gauge tomorrow but I'll be shocked if that's what the problem is as it's fairly new . The only reason I replaced the original was because they were 12cyears old and I couldn't read it anymore . Thanks for your help

Comment

I hope I didn't ruin my gauges . The little tab in the connector wouldn't unlock so I used a very small dental pick to pry it out. I must have shorted something , saw just a tiny bit of smoke and now gauges are blank . Gauges are digital non command link. Hoping there's a fuse/breaker or reset button

Comment

smoke does not normally come out of a fuse or breaker when they open or trip,
                          so something else let the magic smoke out of itself in there

Comment

In a typical Yamaha configuration there is a fuse in the harness that runs between the key switch and the gauges. Check that fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              In a typical Yamaha configuration there is a fuse in the harness that runs between the key switch and the gauges.

separate the halves of the little black "pods" - glass fuse is inside

Comment

Working...
                              X