Adding an inline filter after the VST on a 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding an inline filter after the VST on a 115

I have a f115txrd and have had a lot of trouble with dirty injectors. I wasn't using the boat enough and the stupid ethanol fuel got fouled with water which corroded the aluminum fuel tank as well as the inside of the VST. I've torn the whole thing down (twice) to clean the tank and VST, changed out the fuel lines and filters, had the injectors cleaned (spray pattern and flow tested), and use Stabil all the time now.
    Anyways, I'd like to install a 10 micron inline fuel filter (with replaceable element) between the VST and injector rail. Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or experience with this?
    thanks

Many, many boats use a 10 micron spin-on BEFORE the engine. Wouldn't it be better to put the filtration before the entire engine (and VST), rather than in the middle?

What version of Stabil?
    Last edited by DennisG01; 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I have a 10 micron filter/water separator installed between the fuel tank and the engine. I installed a clear inline filter after that. On the engine there is a paper filter before the mechanical pump and another inline filter between the mechanical and the VST. There is a pickup screen on the high pressure pump inside the VST but no filtration between the VST and the injectors. I've had problems with the injectors clogging ($100 to get them cleaned each time). I thought that for about $100 I could install a nice inline filter just before the injector rail and change out the filters frequently until I get whatever junk is remaining flushed out of the system.
      I'm using Marine Sta-Bil.

Comment

the F115's made after about 2005 had the inline filter between the fuel pump and VST.

not a good way to place an inline filter between the VST and rail.

Comment

yep - it has an inline between the mechanical pump and the vst which does no good if the stuff clogging the injectors is coming from the vst. A new vst is around $800 so I don't want to replace it. It seems to me that a small jegs or holley aluminum inline filter (5"long x 1.75" diameter) could be attached to the fuel cooler and fit nicely without too much trouble. With oetiker ear clamps and some new fuel line it shouldn't be all that difficult to plumb.
          Thoughts????

Comment

There is no reason whatsoever that a fuel filter rated for a fuel injection system could not be installed between the fuel pump outlet and the fuel injection rail. Just be sure that the appropriate clamps are used and and check for leaks after the installation.

I bet that your automobile has one between its fuel pump and the fuel injection rail.

Comment

actually, I have never seen a filter between the fuel tank and rail on an auto.
              about the closest would be the medium pressure filter on an HPDI.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                actually, I have never seen a filter between the fuel tank and rail on an auto.
                about the closest would be the medium pressure filter on an HPDI.
                Both my wife's Ford Escape and my Ford F150 have them. Mounted under the vehicles, about mid-way between the tank and the engine. Come with simple clips that make them easily removable from the fuel lines. One band clamp holds the filter to the car.

Comment

That's interesting.. I don't think that GM uses a serviceable fuel filter in line.At least not on any of my vehicles. I believe they totally rely on the pump sock (screen) . Seems odd, but I have friends with 180,000 + miles and never had a restriction of any kind with that set up.I like the idea of a serviceable filter, however I guess GM wants to cut down on maintenance. It works for many .

Comment

Originally posted by jbroseboy View Post
                    I have a f115txrd and have had a lot of trouble with dirty injectors. I wasn't using the boat enough and the stupid ethanol fuel got fouled with water which corroded the aluminum fuel tank as well as the inside of the VST. I've torn the whole thing down (twice) to clean the tank and VST, changed out the fuel lines and filters, had the injectors cleaned (spray pattern and flow tested), and use Stabil all the time now.
                    Anyways, I'd like to install a 10 micron inline fuel filter (with replaceable element) between the VST and injector rail. Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or experience with this?
                    thanks
                    Where would you get an inline filter that's small enough to fit in a cramped area like an outboard engine, at the same time be serviceable, and can withstand 75 psi..without leaking?

Comment

Yep I replaced the inline filter on my 2000 F150 PU with 195K miles on it.
                      Looked like mud in there when I cut it open.

My brother changed the filter on his 1998 GMC pu also,
                      so they have had these filters for many years on injected motors
                      The pumps were in the tank and produce higher pressure than the old mechanical ones.

The older carbed motors had the filters and pumps at the motor

Comment

Originally posted by Nautical View Post
                        That's interesting.. I don't think that GM uses a serviceable fuel filter in line.At least not on any of my vehicles. I believe they totally rely on the pump sock (screen) . Seems odd, but I have friends with 180,000 + miles and never had a restriction of any kind with that set up.I like the idea of a serviceable filter, however I guess GM wants to cut down on maintenance. It works for many .
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpxuqkVHUc

SilveradoSierra.com • How to Change the Fuel Filter on a Chevy Silverado : How-To Articles

Automotive Systems Guide | ACDelco

Comment

Just a heads up. Since maybe 2004, the fuel filter is inside the fuel module (electric fuel pump). It is not a part you can service separately. You have to change the complete module. Not to worry though. It is a quality, long life filter. Only fuel going to the engine gets filtered. Not all fuel and recirculated fuel as in the past.

Gordon

This is an excerpt from above link

I dunno, but my Avalanche, , or Sliverado does not have an external fuel filter..all in the tank similarly to the Yamaha F150 set up. I would like to see one in line...but none in their later models that I have anyway.
                          Last edited by Nautical; 04-23-2015, 09:53 AM. Reason: info

Comment

What model year Avalanche and Silverado have yee?

Some later model returnless EFI systems might not have an inline fuel filter that is easily accessible. I am not sure if yours is the returnless type of not.

Wouldn't it be great to have a returnless EFI system on our boat motors? Get rid of all that weight, costly and prone to failure crap that gets mounted on the motor.

Last edited by boscoe99; 04-23-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks for looking into this.. I am certain they both use the returnless system.. Parts store does not show listings. They are 2008 and 2014 respectively GM 5.3 liter.. I thing the diesel versions have an external..
                              Great diagram.. I only had one major problem with the fuel circuit on my Avalanche. I had contaminated fuel from SHELL gas station. The formula contained too much sulphur . Shell contacted me and paid for a new pump and filter from GM..They were both inside the tank I had erroneous tank level readings due to clouding of the sensor contact points. GM fix was about 1500.00 if I recall.whew !! Shell was honorable and was upfront about it.. No ducking out !!

Comment

Working...
                              X