Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounds

So, no one here knows what color 12 neg ground color is ??? Are you for real ???

Isn’t it bare copper, or is that for a home??

Comment

AC, DC, ABYC, NEC, Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda or ???

Comment

Since this is a Yamaha forum, I am going with black. black is black. Sorry if I did not capitalize the b in black. I am not politically correct.

Assumption being that by ground one refers to the negative pole of a battery terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefish View Post
          Isn’t it bare copper, or is that for a home??
          Could be the colour silver. As in aluminium.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
            So, no one here knows what color 12 neg ground color is ??? Are you for real ???
            I am thinking his meds have got him hearing voices again, or seeing things.
            or maybe he was confused on what forum he was reading something on and posted this here by mistake

what is a 12 neg ground anyway

Comment

Come on kids, in marine wiring 12v ground the standard color is ???

Comment

Typically Black for DC ground, however
                Yellow is new Safety Ground for DC systems in a marine environment where there may also be an AC source (Black is AC Hot) to prevent confusion.

Green is bonding, not ground, but similar.

Other than that, there is a joke here that has sailed over my head and I completely missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I am thinking his meds have got him hearing voices again, or seeing things.
                  or maybe he was confused on what forum he was reading something on and posted this here by mistake

what is a 12 neg ground anyway
                  The ground on a 12 volt battery or power supply. Maybe a neg ground earth.

Comment

Bateau wins the pizza !! Not just battery cables, but all 12vdc grounds. AC hot is black and guys testing thought they were on a 12vdc neg and dieing... They changed the standard at least 10 years ago. Even the Kmart of boating stores (worst marine) dosnt sell the right wire.. good job Bateau !!

Comment

The joke is on Bateau!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                        guys testing thought they were on a 12vdc neg and dieing
                        Just out of curiosity, how were guys dying from simply (albeit backwards) testing a 12V system?
                        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I still think keith was on some kind of trip when he started this thread, and then stayed on it

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                            Just out of curiosity, how were guys dying from simply (albeit backwards) testing a 12V system?
                            Imagine cutting into a nice big black wire and dropping it to the deck thinking it was simply a ground wire. What if it were live 120vac or perhaps even 240vac? You might be in for a "shock"! Especially bad in a wet marine environment.

Unfortunately, yellow wire is already used for lots of other purposes such as +12v ignition on a Yamaha. Good idea I guess in the long run. In the short term you might be well advised to actually know what the wire is before touching it, especially if the boat has an AC source. Remember that AC comes from more than just shore power as well. Solar, inverters, generators, etc. can all be sources of AC power. It might not kill you but it will certainly remind you if you're not careful. Then again, it might simply kill you.

I'm waiting for the pizza.....

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              The joke is on Bateau!!!!!
                              Yeah, that's usually the case. Sigh!

Comment

Working...
                              X