OEM Aerosol paint dont match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Aerosol paint dont match

What color are you guys using for touchup and repaints? 2000 200hp Saltwater series ,I ordered the paint by my serial # .Got Yamalube marine spray paint "08D
    Dark Bluish Gray 1 " Repainted the rear vent on the cover.Looked awesome until I reinstalled the rear vent.It aint the same color.Nothing to do with fading
    ,I get that totally.The motor is gray,Granite,Graphite etc..Not Bluish gray.I am about to go to auto supply store and match it up to a car spay paint unless
    one of you guys have a better suggestion.Charlie

Fading. It's the sun. Weather. Colour and texture.

Best that you can do is to take a painted part with you to a paint shop and see what they have that might be a close match. Or maybe find a specialty shop that can colour match some paint for you.

Due to translation from Japanese to English, the English words don't always accurately represent what is being translated. Then too, different eyes see different colours. You see gray, Bob might see blusish gray. A colour blind guy will see something altogether differently.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 01-29-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Color-rite Paints sells color matches for outboard motors (cowlings etc.) from Yamaha and Mercury. They have 2 "Yamaha" colors with similar "blue gray" names the -01 and the -08D. I bought what I thought was the right color match 2 years ago and it was darker and bluer than my 2006, 15 HP (or my 2019 300 hp motor.)
      This is not a matter of fading etc. I walked through my boat yard and it didn't match to any other Yamaha color I saw: old or new, cowling or lower unit, large engine or small. More to my point, there was almost no variation in the color among the say 20 different engines I looked at.

I am sorry to tell you that I am going to try again but don't have the records to tell me which dash number I bought. I just thought that someone in the forum would have picked the right dash number for the right color match and can save me the risk of screwing up again.

There is a great YouTube video on the subject and it uses the Color-rite spray can paints to redo a cowling- unfortunately the video did not details the Color-rite part number!

Does anyone have success matching a Color Rite color to their Yammy?

Comment

Yamaha's paint color data is all screwed up.

Best to take a part to be painted to a paint shop. Have them determine the paint color and mix up a batch of paint for you.

Comment

Originally posted by HecklerMV View Post
          Color-rite Paints sells color matches for outboard motors (cowlings etc.) from Yamaha and Mercury. They have 2 "Yamaha" colors with similar "blue gray" names the -01 and the -08D. I bought what I thought was the right color match 2 years ago and it was darker and bluer than my 2006, 15 HP (or my 2019 300 hp motor.)
          This is not a matter of fading etc. I walked through my boat yard and it didn't match to any other Yamaha color I saw: old or new, cowling or lower unit, large engine or small. More to my point, there was almost no variation in the color among the say 20 different engines I looked at.
          I had the exact same issue with the correct part # for mine.

Dunno if clear coat would help, but the rattle can alone was/is off a bunch...

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks guys,looks like we are all in the same boat.The "bluish" is the issue.My motor is gray/granite. Every Yammy I see my year 2000 and newer is same gray/granite color.No bluish at all.I have a spare cover that I am going to take to auto parts store and match the paint up to something closer.I will post my findings so we cal all benefit from the correct color match.Charlie

Comment

If you have, let's say a "late" model year 2000", and it looks like a 2001 color... can you just buy the color for a 2001?

FYI, I have a model year 2000 and it is DEFINITELY bluish/grey.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
              X