• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

Both engines go into limp mode

20 minutes ago
    Help please
    2003 f115 txrb f115 txrb
    both engines went into limp mode 28 miles offshore water comming out great in tale.shut both off stars up nice no alarms put in gear 20 sec or so both solid alarms.
    both water pump kits done 20hrs.
    ? can those engines go into limp mode if water got in the engines.let engines run for about 2 minutes both alarms going off have more gas both took off ran fine 42 miles per hr back to dock.
    I know those motors only go in alarms low oil pressure or hi water temp.

Help please

Comment

need to test things to see if oil pressures and over temps are staying in spec.
      if they are then possible wiring problem

Comment

It is known within Yamaha as RPM reduction mode. You should not be limping with the motor running if the RPM reduction mode is activated. The engine can be seriously damaged if you do.

Normally happens in a four stroke due to low oil pressure or high engine temperature.

In a twin application, one motor going into RPM reduction mode will put the other into RPM reduction mode.

What are you seeing on the Yamaha multi-function tachometer if you have one installed?

In a non normal situation low voltage can also activate the RPM reduction mode.

Comment

I am not sure when reading the post, but sounds like the alarms were still sounding the whole time and he ran back at 42MPH.
          ".let engines run for about 2 minutes both alarms going off have more gas both took off ran fine 42 miles per hr back to dock."

so that does not sound like RPM reduction mode

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            What’s really weird about it thank you very much for getting back to me my wire harnesses I have separate channels my binacal s are separate batteries only run one motor I do have a switch for a back up in case I need to do a all to start the other motor.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              It is known within Yamaha as RPM reduction mode. You should not be limping with the motor running if the RPM reduction mode is activated. The engine can be seriously damaged if you do.

Normally happens in a four stroke due to low oil pressure or high engine temperature.

In a twin application, one motor going into RPM reduction mode will put the other into RPM reduction mode.

What are you seeing on the Yamaha multi-function tachometer if you have one installed?

In a non normal situation low voltage can also activate the RPM reduction mode.
              Thank you very much that would make sense my voltage is about 12.7 when it’s not running just start them up they run about 13 point to give it about 25 3000 RPMs we go about 14.2 V both batteries are real close changed out regular regulator rectifier‘s about two weeks ago both of them one was putting L 16 volts so I just change both of them out

Comment

Originally posted by yamahaboo View Post

Thank you very much that would make sense my voltage is about 12.7 when it’s not running just start them up they run about 13 point to give it about 25 3000 RPMs we go about 14.2 V both batteries are real close changed out regular regulator rectifier‘s about two weeks ago both of them one was putting L 16 volts so I just change both of them out
                I forgot to add on that I did a load on the batteries and they were 85% and the other one was at 95% at 500 cranking amps

Comment

I am not sure when reading the post, but sounds like the alarms were still sounding the whole time and he ran back at 42MPH.
                  ".let engines run for about 2 minutes both alarms going off have more gas both took off ran fine 42 miles per hr back to dock."

so that does not sound like RPM reduction mode
                  What happened was 3 to 4 times I tried to take it off put it in gear and both alarms go off I would shut it off after putting a neutral shut it off wait about 10 seconds start them up did this about four times probably the fourth time I said screw it let’s go so we just went about 2000 RPMs on both engines and they were shaking in about 6 to 8 minutes I gave a little bit more gas still shook then I’ll son they took off had no problem we went about 42 mph back 28 miles offshore had no issues got home start them up no problems After they ran probably about 45 5000 RPMs alarms went off all they went completely gone no problems so I have to alarms went off no more shake rattle and roll on those engines this is a weird one

Comment

Thank you very much for all your help please keep going I wanted to let everyone know that I put the the YDS 1.33 software on both engines and there was no codes anywhere everything was all normal

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me I did use the YDS 1.33 software on both engines and there was no codes everything was all in parameters

Comment

I still have no idea from what you wrote if you ran back at 42MPH with or without the alarm sounding the whole time.
                        where are you located and are your posts being translated to english

Comment

I still have no idea from what you wrote if you ran back at 42MPH with or without the alarm sounding the whole time.
                          where are you located and are your posts being translated to english
                          No the alarms both alarms went off after I ran it for about eight minutes both alarms went off engine cleared up ran fine for about 28 miles offshore no problems got home start them up no problems

Comment

Originally posted by yamahaboo View Post
                            No the alarms both alarms went off after I ran it for about eight minutes both alarms went off engine cleared up ran fine for about 28 miles offshore no problems got home start them up no problems
                            I live in Florida

Comment

Working...
                            X