Lower Unit Thrust Bearing question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Thrust Bearing question.

I am replacing the drive shaft oil seals on my 2006 150 2 stroke. I discovered the thrust bearing part number 93341-930V2-00 is rusty and in poor condition.

I have a 1993 150 2 stroke lower unit that I can take the thrust bearing from.

Problem is the 93 thrust bearing has a different part number, 93341-930U0-00 and the bearing cage is different.

Both bearings have the same roller thickness and are dimensionally identical except for the differently shaped cages.

Can one of the experts please help me and let me know if they are safely interchangeable?

Per this link, seems the "V2" bearing is the updated bearing:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-93341-.../dp/B005GEKQL8

Capture.JPG
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if that bearing is rusty, there had to be water in there for awhile.
      Have you checked the other bearings, shafts, and gears for rust?

Comment

No I have not... I drained the lu oil and dropped it to change the water pump last June but before I could put the new pump on I had some health issues and unfortunately I left the lower outside without the water pump for months.

I had removed and left off the oil seal cover to inspect the seals and the spring inside the top seal was rusty so I knew then it at least needed new seals.

I opened the drain plug to check that it was empty a couple days ago and around 6 ounces of rain water water came out. I immediately filled it with oil and when rotating the drive shaft it feels and sounds fine.

Further disassembly is above my pay grade. Do you think I should have a shop open it up and inspect the internals?

Comment

Yes, I would think inspection of the other parts is needed since water sat inside for so long.

there might be some that say try it for awhile to see if there is metal showing up on the magnet, but if that top side has rust, there is a very good chance that the stuff with water on it in the bottom has it too

Comment

Working...
          X