Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 70BET0 overheating alarm

Hi everyone,

I have an old 70HP 2 stroke (1997), it runs great but on my last 3 trips I had the overheating alarm buzzing.
    I'm trying to better understand the problem (and make sure there is actually an issue). This is what happened in my last 3 trips:
    • 5-10min after launching the boat and running at low speed (8kn zone), the overheating alarm starts and the motor goes in safe mode.
    • I turn off the motor, remove the cowling (the heads is warm but not super hot), wait for a few minutes, start again and the alarm is gone for the whole day (30miles trips)
    • The impeller has been replaced a few months ago
    • The telltale is not super strong but it has always been like that and seems works fine

If there is the motor overheats, I don't understand why it is happening only once in the first 5-10min. I just have to stop and start again the alarm is gone. Then I can run the motor all day and the problem doesn't come back until next time.
    Now, I live in Australia and it's summer here and when this happened it was pretty warm: air temperature at 90F/30C and water around 75F/24C, I don't know if this could be related...

If you guys have any idea what's happening, please let me know.

Thanks!

I would pull the stat and check that it operates in the spec range.
    pot of water and a thermometer are needed to see what temps it opens and closes at.

might be sticking closed but the opens .
    while you have it out check to see how much scale ,salt, or corrosion there is inside the opening where the stat sits.

also I am not sure it your 70 has a PRV that could be sticking open that would cause a low RPM overheat.
    something to check on if it has one

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for the late reply.

I've tried the boat again yesterday and no alarm this time.
      I'll still remove the stat and clean it anyway. I don't think this model has PRV, however after a bit of research I found this thread which seems to describe the same problem I had.

Apparently it could be related to water tube dampers and seals. I'm not sure I have these but I'll check and add them if there are missing.
      I will update if the problem persists or is solved after that.
      Thanks

Comment

If the over heating started after the impeller change, it's possible something is missing, etc (could have something also missing/fell apart, etc).

The water tube is part #10 and "gaskets" on each end.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-2

Capture.JPG

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X