Trim/tilt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim/tilt issue

Hi all, I have a 1998 225 OX 66 with a trim/tilt leak. The large tilt cylinder seal is leaking badly. The motor pops up when powered up in reverse. Can this unit be rebuilt without removing the entire assembly? How difficult is the rebuild? Thank you.

In my opinion, It needs to be removed and sent to shop.
    not sure you have the tools and expertise to handle doing it yourself.
    lots of parts inside there.

need to keep everything very clean
    those dust caps you see are not what is leaking,
    they are there to scrape away contaminants from getting inside.

being low on fluid is what causes the motor to not stay down, unless there is a major shaft or seal problem

Comment

Plus 1 ^^^..

Per the parts diagram the main rod (part #6) has to come out (see below) and that's not happening bolted to the engine.

The cap that holds it together (part #8), being 23 years old, will likely be a PIA to remove alone. That part should probably be removed / broke loose (at least for leverage)
      while still attached to the bracket. A special tool is needed for that alone.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...ilt-assembly-1

Capture.JPG
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Just remove the whole assembly. Might as well get the whole thing rebuilt while you're at it. As noted above... there are many, MANY small parts inside these things. Googling will tell you that the only way to remove the assembly is forward, meaning you have to lift the engine off. Not true. I needed to rebuild mine and I looked at things real close and came to the conclusion (assumption) that I could remove it aft (without removing the engine). Yup, it worked - took me all of about 30 minutes. In other words, don't always trust what you read on the 'net - practical experience often trumps Google
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thank you! I think I'm going to remove it and have it rebuilt. Any tricks on removal? The area where it's mounted is very clean as the boat is lift kept.

Comment

No real "tricks" that I can think of. Other than to say to remember to retract the trim and tilt rams before you disconnect the wires. It's really pretty straight forward. You could spray some PB Blaster on the various bolts and pins for a day or two prior to starting the work - it can only help.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Obviously have the engine supported up on the swivel bracket and resting on it before pulling any pins...

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X