ignition issues on twin 200hp outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition issues on twin 200hp outboards

my 2003 twin yamaha 200hp outboards have recently failed to start up on several occasions. They will turn over but a buzzer noise comes from the key switch and they fail to start up. On one occasion I removed the key switch to look for loose wires/corrosion and did not find anything. When I put it back in place both engines fired up first turn (but there was still a buzzer noise at the key switch). This has happened probably 3 times now over the past 4 months. I took it into a yamaha tech and after a few hours of inspections he could not make it fail or find a cause of failure. Im now in winter repair/maintenance mode and was wondering if I should I just go ahead and replace the key switch unit at this time or is there some way to find the exact problem? The first time this happened the boat came to a complete stop when getting on plane (like the kill switch was pulled) and neither engine would fire up for around 5 minutes. After checking every fuel line and valve in my main hatch it suddenly fired up and never did it again until about 6-7 trips later when it did it right after a cold start. It cranked up but engine felt sluggish like it was about to die so I killed them and again neither would start up. This was the trip I pulled the ignition switch out of the console and looked for corrosion, once I put back in place it started right up. The last time it did it, only one engine was affected at start up...then once I turned off the running engine neither would come on again for about 3-4 minutes.
    After that they fired up they never acted up again for the rest of the day. Any repair suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Pavos@12; 01-05-2021, 04:22 PM.

Kill circuit shorting to ground somewhere? Kill switch faulty?

Comment

All those words. I read to the very end. Still don't know the models of the motors.

Comment

Don't know what your issue is. But, I sea ign key set's heavy enough to knock a fish out. Besides having a hidden truck, trailer and boat motor keys. It's really a good ideal to have 1 key with 1 float per motor. And green and red of course. Also a shot of oil in the keyhole didn't hurt once in a while.. u don't need a ton of keys bouncing around tearing up you ign switch. Sea it with all the rookies weekly.

Comment

Did he say he has lots of keys on his key ring?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            All those words. I read to the very end. Still don't know the models of the motors.
            I read it twice and I am not entirely sure what the problem is, so I had a wild guess.

Comment

Seems like it's all gone quiet.

Comment

Working...
              X