No announcement yet.

Yamaha Oil filters ?Dare to compare !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Begs the question ..You saw two pleat failures..in 25 years! and you don't know how long they were in service?? GM uses a 4.00 filter in most of engines.. and they make a lot of engines???and are used in a more rigorous/severe environment. This is an excerpt from a oil filter manufacturer who makes oil filters for a slew of companies including Gm..AC/Delco read:
    We do manufacture the SuperTech filters and the A/C Delco filters as well. Although, we manufacture them to each companies specifications. All this information is proprietary to them. I have no access to release specific specifications on their products. I can tell you the SuperTech filters are a very good filter for the money. They will have very similar design, and both do use a premium media. We manufacture approximately 20 different brands of filters here, and the Supertech filters are one that I do use on my own vehicle, and never had any issues with them. The SuperTech filters do meet the specifications of the OE filters that they are intended for. Sorry I couldn't be of further help, but let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with.

Bob Buckman
    Tech Rep
    Champion Labs
    1-800-882-0890
    Last edited by Nautical; 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Nautical View Post
      Begs the question ..You saw two pleat failures..in 25 years! and you don't know how long they were in service??
      In both cases, they were in service for 1 year - which is the recommended service interval for Mercruiser engines (which is what I deal with most of the time).

2 pleat failures in 25 years... Yes, but it's a little deceiving to say it that way. For one, I don't do this kind of work day in and day out. Second, I certainly don't open up every filter I change. Third, I've probably only ever opened up about 20 or 25 filters in my lifetime. Of those 20/25, maybe 4 of them have been a Fram.

So, to be more accurate, 2 of the 4 Fram's I've opened had pleat failures. BUT, I don't think it's accurate to say that 50% of Fram's will have pleat failures based solely on my experience. I don't think it would be a fair assessment to say that. What I can say, though, is that of the other filters I've opened (or other mechanics at the place I work), there has never been a failure of the Mercruiser brand (or whomever makes it for them, to their specs) or Mallory or Sierra - which are the brands we most commonly see.

Based on my experiences, and the internal construction of the Fram filter, all I can offer is that it's not work the couple bucks less that the Fram costs. Given the multitude of good filters out there, there's PLENTY of better choices.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Fram meets all of Yamaha ,AC Delco and automotive manufactured specifications. I have no idea what you were looking at and how it was in service..and how many miles or hours it went through. A year is a long time in a harsh working environment . My point is that for the same money or less than a Yamaha oil filter with their brand name you can get a better oil filter for less money using any American made oil filter such as KN, Mobil One, and yes, Fram ultra which gives you a 15000 mile warranty. If you like a name I suggest you buy in name only and pay the middle man . I rather put my money in the quality of the filter...not to say Yamaha is a bad filter , but I can find an equal or a better one for 1/2 the money .

Comment

Fram meets all of Yamaha ,AC Delco and automotive manufactured specifications. I have no idea what you were looking at and how it was in service..and how many miles or hours it went through. A year is a long time in a harsh working environment . My point is that for the same money or less than a Yamaha oil filter with their brand name you can get a better oil filter for less money using any American made oil filter such as KN, Mobil One, and yes, Fram ultra which gives you a 15000 mile warranty. If you like a name I suggest you buy in name only and pay the middle man . I rather put my money in the quality of the filter...not to say Yamaha is a bad filter , but I can find an equal or a better one for 1/2 the money .
          I'm sure those "specs" are MINIMUM specs, right? Of course it meets the specs - probably would have a hard time being sold, otherwise, right? Do you work for Fram? It sounds like you're defending an inferior product because you have a vested interest in it.

Where did I say "buy in name only"? You're putting words in my mouth that I never said. Again, that would lead one to believe that you have something to gain here, as opposed to simply offering real life experience as I was doing. Your last sentence, "Not to say..." -- well, I believe that is what I was saying, as well. Yamaha is good, but it doesn't mean it's the 'be all, end all' of filters.

If you're saying that I don't bleed red, white and blue... think again, friend. I buy from 'mom & pop' stores all the time, even though prices are a little higher than big chain stores. I go out of my way to buy Made In The USA and even to stock Made In The USA stuff at the store. Don't question my nationalism.

As far as warranties go, they are worth no more than the paper they're printed on. It all comes down to how the company backs them up. In the case of a pleat failure, for example, what exactly is the company going to do? Give me a free filter? What about the damage that was done during the time the filter had a gaping hole in it? How are they going to cover that? That answer is... they won't. They will say that the burden of proof concerning damage is on me. How do I prove some damage was done? I can't - not unless there was a major engine failure. Even if there was (which is unlikely), you can be darned sure that they would try and blame it on something else. Tell me I'm wrong.

Are the more expensive Fram filters better quality? Sure, I don't doubt they are. But I'd rather give my hard earned money to a company that starts out making good products as their entry level product.

The oil filters (pleat failure) in question had about 40 to 75 hours on them before I changed them (one year of service, time-wise). I thought you were familiar with boating and would know that we typically deal with hours - not miles - afterall, I do believe this is a boating forum. And, the recommendation for changing an oil filter on a boat engine is typically 100 hours or yearly - at least with the manufacturer's I'm familiar with. I don't have a 4-stroke Yamaha, and am not familiar with those recommendations, though. But, are you saying that it's "acceptable" to have pleat failure within one year in a marine environment? If that's not what you mean, then you should choose your words more carefully because that's how it's coming across.

Comment

Whoa Fella.. take it easy.. have another drink ..

Comment

I'm getting the popcorn!!!
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

No reins or drinking needed. But I responded to the points you brought up. You have yet to respond directly about the points you were trying to make. If you'd care to respond back, I'm listening. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. But the normal Fram filters are cheap - cut one open and look - or just do a google search. I'm sure there's info out there on this.
                Last edited by DennisG01; 04-19-2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                  No reins or drinking needed. But I responded to the points you brought up. You have yet to respond directly about the points you were trying to make. If you'd care to respond back, I'm listening. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. But the normal Fram filters are cheap - cut one open and look - or just do a google search. I'm sure there's info out there on this.
                  For some reason you keep missing my point. Let me restate . Yamaha does not make oil filters. A Chinese factory in Thailand does. Yes under a Yamaha spec. USA makes oil filters that also meet Yamaha specs. Fram does, K&N does Mobil 1 does and a host of others do and no one can prove the contrary. Fram of 25 yrs ago is not the same as today. Fram makes three grades of filters . I use the Ultra series top of line with synthetic media designed for a Yamaha F150. Sooo, if you choose to believe that Yamaha is Godsent then go ahead and pay twice as much for the same filter you could buy in most US stores.I don't want to keep debating this over and over. You feel that Yamaha is best I think differently and so does most if not all USA made premium grade oil filters companies. Be happy and buy a Yamaha filter and pay the middlemen. Its your money.
                  Its interesting to add, that General Motors could build a premium filter for all their engines for around 4 bucks and warranty their motors for 100 k miles under more rigorous demand than what our Yamahas will see.

Comment

fortunately isn't all about my english...

I'll not post again on this thread as I already saw where it goes.

Comment

This is reading like some crap from The Hull Truth.

Comment

For some reason you keep missing my point. Let me restate . Yamaha does not make oil filters. A Chinese factory in Thailand does. Yes under a Yamaha spec. USA makes oil filters that also meet Yamaha specs. Fram does, K&N does Mobil 1 does and a host of others do and no one can prove the contrary. Fram of 25 yrs ago is not the same as today. Fram makes three grades of filters . I use the Ultra series top of line with synthetic media designed for a Yamaha F150. Sooo, if you choose to believe that Yamaha is Godsent then go ahead and pay twice as much for the same filter you could buy in most US stores.I don't want to keep debating this over and over. You feel that Yamaha is best I think differently and so does most if not all USA made premium grade oil filters companies. Be happy and buy a Yamaha filter and pay the middlemen. Its your money.
                        Its interesting to add, that General Motors could build a premium filter for all their engines for around 4 bucks and warranty their motors for 100 k miles under more rigorous demand than what our Yamahas will see.
                        I'm missing nothing. Re-read what I've written - way too many times now - I've never said that Yamaha is "the best". I'm really struggling trying to figure out how you keep missing that point. Please read and comprehend what someone has written before you respond. I feel like I should be saying something about "maybe you should take a refresher course in reading comprehension", but I won't.

There is no debate to end - it never started since you keep talking in circles and won't read what I've written. To be honest, I really don't even understand how this went from me sharing personal, REAL LIFE experiences with Fram, for the good of the forum, to you saying that I think Yamaha filters are the best. Doesn't make sense.

And, shame on me for getting caught up in this nonsense.

Comment

I thought you were familiar with boating and would know that we typically deal with hours - not miles - afterall, I do believe this is a boating forum. And, the recommendation for changing an oil filter on a boat engine is typically 100 hours or yearly - at least with the manufacturer's I'm familiar with. I don't have a 4-stroke Yamaha, and am not familiar with those recommendations, though. But, are you saying that it's "acceptable" to have pleat failure within one year in a marine environment? If that's not what you mean, then you should choose your words more carefully because that's how it's coming across.
                          However I think we are on the same page and agree that there are many oil filters priced much less than Yamaha (Denso) brand including Fram (premium design in my view) KN , Mobil 1 etc that are the equal or better for much less $..

Comment

Well, there's still more to what I was trying to get at. But I WILL make an assumption - that you're not here on this forum for arguments. What do you say we let this one pass? I suspect there's some type of misunderstanding issue since we're only dealing with the written word and if we were actually talking in person this would have been resolved without anyone having to pop a bag of popcorn.

Comment

I thought you were familiar with boating and would know that we typically deal with hours - not miles - afterall, I do believe this is a boating forum. And, the recommendation for changing an oil filter on a boat engine is typically 100 hours or yearly - at least with the manufacturer's I'm familiar with. I don't have a 4-stroke Yamaha, and am not familiar with those recommendations, though. But, are you saying that it's "acceptable" to have pleat failure within one year in a marine environment? If that's not what you mean, then you should choose your words more carefully because that's how it's coming across.
                              However I think we are on the same page and agree that there are many oil filters priced much less than Yamaha (Denso) brand including Fram (premium design in my view) KN , Mobil 1 etc that are the equal or better for much less $..
                              This is not a boating forum. This is a Yamaha outboard motor forum.

Do you have a Yamaha at all?

For a boating forum you would fit right in at thehulltruth.com

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                                This is not a boating forum. This is a Yamaha outboard motor forum.

Do you have a Yamaha at all?

For a boating forum you would fit right in at thehulltruth.com
                                Ummmmm.... Did you happen to read my signature? Or was this an assumption? That was sarcasm... just in case it wasn't clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X