lighting coil replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lighting coil replacement

scan200 001.jpg I'm looking for the specifications for the lighting coil for my 1998 outboard 25ELRW. My shop manual does not have it as shown on attachment. the part # is GL2-85533-10-00. I'm also wondering if there is a different lighting coil that would work in it's place since this coil will cost me about $200 by the time I pay shipping and tax. Similar lighting coils that look the same cost about 1/3 rd the price. I understand this coil charges the battery, but I ran the boat the last month of the season and the battery held it's charge. Do you thing I need it? Thanks Bill

what do you use the battery for?
    can you charge the battery often enough to keep your use of it?

looks like your manual is not for your motor

Comment

shop manual 001.jpg starting motor-bilge pump-depth finder.-- motor also starts easily with rope pull. I can charge it when necessary with remote charger. Manual covers my engine quite extensively but I'm not finding this information. Thanks Bill

Comment

that is an aftermarket manual.
        might look around for one from Yamaha that is for your motor.

it will have info on testing the charging system,
        small motors do not put out very much in the way of amps, but should help keep the battery up.

my C40 only puts out 6 amps at high RPM.

have you put a volt meter on the battery to see what voltage it sitting at, and then start the motor to see if the voltage goes up when running?
        Last edited by 99yam40; 01-05-2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I don't have water available to start the motor right now but I will check it when I do. Does the C in your model number stand for - ( commercial ). Does your voltage go up with engine running? I believe your engine has a generator as opposed to my Magneto.

Comment

they all produce AC with the magnets under the flywheel passing a coil.
            a rectifier is added to change it to DC and a regulator is used to regulate the voltage to the battery.

to charge a battery the voltage has to be higher than the battery voltage to get current to flow into the battery
            Last edited by 99yam40; 01-05-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman363 View Post
              I don't have water available to start the motor right now but I will check it when I do. Does the C in your model number stand for - ( commercial ). Does your voltage go up with engine running? I believe your engine has a generator as opposed to my Magneto.
              C stands for cheaper.

Voltage output of the coils increases with the RPM of the motor.

All Yams use what is known as a permanent magnet generator. Magnets wizzing by a coil create electricity.

Comment

If the battery voltage rises when the motor is running then I would guess that the lighting coil and the rectifier/regulator are working.

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/6L2-85533-10-00

Comment

Working...
                X